Fishing the herman, mo area

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by sltrnsam, Oct 16, 2005.

1. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey fellow catfisherman, i will be in the herman on the 22 & 23 of october. thought i would do a little fishing for some blues and channels, was just wondering if you all could pass on some tips for fishing that area. also what is the missouri river running like, is it high or low. i have fished the missouri in the souix city area and found i had to use heavy wieght. any help would be appreciated. thanks

brian huff

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Brian, the river has been really low this year..if you look at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mo/nwis/uf you can pick up the river gage height and discharge. At Hermann the river has been running from 5 feet to 15 and watch when the water is up because it can drop feet over night. Guys I have been talking to have been fishing the Missouri from New Haven up to Herman and catching a lot of channels and blues on shad, worms, shrimp. I have not had as good as luck down towards the Washington area but it is a full moon. Good luck.

3. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey dave, thanks for the information. hope the fish are biting when i get down there and the water comes up some might be alittle tough getting around.thanks again.

brian huff

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    sltrnsam, Fished yesterday around the New Haven / Washington area and didn't get a nibble. Even the trot line was empty. River is really low right now. I checked it again today and it's has gone down probably 3-4 feet in the last 48 hours. We got a little rain shower this morning but not enough to bring it up.

Fishing has been really slow lately, however shad are in abundance and super easy to find and catch! Hopefully the cats will "turn on" when you're here!!

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Riverrat..where are you finding the shad and are they of any size?

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, I found shad by the thousands right there in that little finger just west of the hwy 47 bridge. Threw out my net which is blue, came up blue and silver!!!!!! They are really thick at the mouth there. Got plenty for fishing and some to freeze.

They varied in size from 3" to 7". Mostly 3-4inchers. Perfect for the hook!! Also found a bunch in front of some wing dikes east of the bridge. There is also a little creek on the south side of the river just west of ramp. FULL of shad. However creek is extremely low, be careful if you go back there by boat, unless you have a jetprop.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I know where that little creek is that runs just above the bridge but where is that little finger you spoke of? Is it on the Washington side or the St. Charles Co. side of the river? I have one more bag of shad left not counting the 1/2 bag I re-froze.. I dont like to use the refroze shad as it has a tendency to fall apart. Watching the weather..going to try to get out there tomarrow. I'll be putting in at the Washington site.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    It's on the Washington side as your going up river towards New Haven.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks going to try to get out there this weekend.. Had to work at the last minute..court. Did you see the shad jumping or just tried throwing for them there??

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I could see them flippin... especially there at the creek by the bridge.