Fishing the Florida Keys

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by kenlaw76, Feb 20, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am going to be staying in Big Pine the first few days in March. I will have access to a 17' center console boat. I don't think it has a GPS on it though. I have my handheld to find my course back to the launch though. I am planning on doing a few dives but my buddy that is going with doesn't dive so I would also like to do some fishing. Is there anywhere I can catch live bait? I am going to try and fish 7 mi. bridge a few times. Is there any particular spot on the bridge that is good for Tarpon? Any help would be great!

2. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    What's up? No one on this forum has fished the Keys before?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I fished the keys exactly one time, in 1962, at night, on the 7 mile bridge. My buddy and I didn't catch anything memorable, cuz I don't even remember what we caught, if anything. Sorry I can't help.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never personally fished the Keys before, but I've got a buddy who goes there with family almost yearly. The had good luck with permit on crabs last time, and if you fish around any bridges you can find some big jacks and snook. Also bonefish and tarpon on the flats and mangroves.

5. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The weather wasn't that great, but I still got to fish around the Mangroves and caught all kinds of snapper and a few Jack's. I didn't get to fish for Tarpon or Sharks, but it was still nice to be down there. I ended up with about #20 of snapper fillets, a couple of hogfish fillets and 4 lobster. I still wish I could have added a few grouper and cobia.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    You did good Ken ...glad you had a good trip and got into some fish.