Fishing the falls of the Ohio

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    In southern Indiana around Louisville and Jeffersonville has any fished below the dam. My dad and his uncle used to fish there when he was a kid and ive heard that there is pretty good fishing while the water is down. Has anyone fished there and has any tips or can tell me how to gain access for shore fishing?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey River Rat, I have been there one time, it is best accessed from the Indiana state park access. Or you can park around the overpass there just before you get into the park, either way, it will be a fair walk and wade to get to best water but it looked great, I only had an hour or so to check it out for next time ( I was in Louisville for work)
    Looks like lots of chutes and plumes to fish, I imagine at low water, you can cross just about the whole park side of the water without getting your knee caps wet, Then hit these chutes and plumes, it looked really good. Please let me know if you ever hit it. Im curious how you did? Do you live close to there? I get to Louisville fairly often, several times a year and would love to have some fishing companionship to check out new water with.

Salmonid

3. Ohio_River_Rat

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yah mark thats about what i heard i live mabey 25 minutes away from the bridge to get to louisville but im still learnin spots to fish and thery're all from bank. Hopefully this year ill find more spots cause so far you best spot is mabye 30 minutes north of me. But sure we can do some fishin
    thanks

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've lived about a mile away from the Falls all my life and have never fished there. Always been a creek/lake person. I have a friend that has fished there for years.m I can ask him (If I can remember) for any info he might have that would help ya'll out.

5. Ohio_River_Rat

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Thanks alot gargoil. I'd appreciate that. What lakes and creeks do you fish around here? Have you ever thought of fishing the Ohio? Kinda seems like a shame to live so close to a catmagnet and never fish it.

Thanks alot zac

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I fish the local lakes mostly. Deams mainly. Just because they are so close. I have a two man boat that really should be for one. I can load it and unload it myself. Creeks? Any. I like to wade and fish for anything that will hit a rooster tail. I do wade Blue River and Little Blue. I consider them creeks and not rivers. Just never really knew anyone that got out on the river to fish. Didn't fish much growing up because I had no one to take me unless we went camping. The only person I know now that gets on the river doesn't fish for nothing but bass and sauger and he gets on the river just to hit Silver Creek.

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Ohio River Rat, I don't fish the falls that much because my boat is a deep vee. I have been up in them and the fishing can be outstanding when the waters is right. I think the water level has to be around 11 or 12 ft. below the dam before you can walk out on the fossil beds. Also, they need to be running around 2-5 ft. of dam on the upper to have current. If there is no current you might as well stay at home. Hope this helps...

8. Ohio_River_Rat

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yah that helps alot thanks

9. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    hey rat i know about where it is its been awhile since i fished but ugo to jeff take the road that runs along side the river u should see signs it a historical place u can park in the parking lot and walk down the hill i think they have stairs............ yes when the water is down there r some nice size hole to fish but just be carefull if the whistle blows u got about 1 min. before the flood gates open:0a26:

10. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    hey Rat, Me and my son fish the falls of the Ohio often and have found a great access just below the dam, with plenty of fishing bank and a boat ramp. If you need directions send me a message and i'll give them to you. It's halfway between Clarksville and New Albany.

11. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    The DNR did post today from the Falls of the Ohio state park, and they do report that sauger fishing is good and picking up.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Would anybody be interested in getting together to fish there? Maybe we could get a bunch of us together there. Ive fished there a few times but have never had any luck from the bank, but I know its a great place to fish.

13. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Derbycitycatman

just leave me a message whenever you want to go. My son really likes to fish there.

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I would probably go. if schedule permits. I live less than a mile from there. Let me know when and I'll see.

15. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I would probably go too...with enough notice. Long drive for me, but I have been wanting to fish it.

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I just rememered something. We can't stay there over night. They close the park down I think around 10pm. Pretty strict about it too. There's another park on down the river about a mile I guess driving, that may not have a curfew. If I can remember, I'll check on it. There's a boat ramp and a replica of George Rogers Clark's cabin. I haven't a clue how the fishing is there. Never fished it.

17. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I'm pretty sure if you tell the park ranger that you want to fish late they will let you...

18. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I have heard that you can get a pass to put in your window to stay all night...can anyone confirm this?

19. hoosiercat

hoosiercat New Member

State:
    in
    Park closes at 11p.m. Fishing is permitted with a fishing permit displayed in window after 11p.m. Permits are available at Interpretive Center at no charge. Interpretive Center is open Mon.-Sat. 9-5 & Sun. 1-5.

20. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Good job hoosiercat. I was just about to post about the interprative center but you beat me to it.