Fishing the dam spillway

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by chadf, Apr 12, 2007.

1. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Ok so what's the trick I've only tried a few times but I seem to loose more weight and leaders than catch fish. I see folks taking cooler fulls of cats.
    what are guys using rods, bait, tackle ect?:confused2:

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    There is no way around losing tackle at the dam.

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Just make sure you got the right dam bait. :0a22:

4. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    come on somebody must have a little info on a good set up for fishing the spillway.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Sorry I really have no idea on how to fish it but I had to just comment for the sake of the dam.
    All the cats I caught lately were in flats of about 4 feet of water as they are in prespawn mode.

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Chad if you want to fish the spillway you need to use a 3way rig with the weight on a light leader so you can break it off without losing the hook.I use 10lb leaders on my weights most times and will not use leader line any lighter but I have my reels spooled with 50lb line so I can use a 20lb leader if I need to but you need to be careful because if you use a leader that is to light you may break off when you cast.I know weights cost a lot when you have to buy them but that's the way it is if you fish the rocks you will hang up.You can use any old thing for weights like rusty bolts,nuts and even washers or any scrap that is not to big and heavy to cast heck I have tied on small rocks for weights.

P.S. I have used scrap iron that was to heavy to cast,I would just put my reel out of gear and throw in the weight and baited hook by hand then break off the weight when I wanted to reel in my line.

7. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    I've used the lighter line on my weights plus I make my own. I just see guys down there raking in the fish while I'm only catcing a few. Some appear to be snagging while others seem to be casting out with bait. I've approached a few guys for tips but always get vague answers.

8. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Some of them you see might be throwing spoons.

9. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How true. You are going to lose alot of weights.