Fishing the Colorado river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Billy Jo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Many have asked for Info on fishing the river, so I will try to help for the first time river fishermen.
    FISHING FROM A BOAT.
    Learing to read the water is the most important thing you need to know. What the water looks like when flowing over a sandbar or other shallow areas. Some Parts of the river will have a sandy bttom a other parts may have a rocky bottom.So until you know what to look for I would say take you time until you know were these areas are. Nothing will make a good fishing trip turn bad If you are suck on a sandbar and the water is going down or loseing a prop or lower unit. So take it slow the first time out. You also have to remember that the water level will drop in the evening and this will make the river lower at night. I always keep a eye on my depth finder when running the river and when I see the water getting shallower I will slow down so if I end up on a sandbar I will be able to push the boat off and I've been there and done that. It dosen't matter what kind boat you have you need
    a good motor to get back to were you started. Paddling up stream won't get you back to were you started for a day or two If your lucky.
    Having a good anchor or two, I find the best anchor for the river is a navy type anchor 15 lbs or more with a 6 ft of chain and a 100ft of rope, most of the water you will be fishing will be 10 foot or less.
    I find the best places to fish are in the slower water or in a eddy were there are bullrushes along the banks with water 4 to 10 foot deep. You need to remember that flatheads are going to feed were the bait fish are and the bait fish will hide in the root of the bullrushs or other cover were they can find a place to hide. another good area is in the backs of sandbars with a hole behind the sandbar. If you can find a sandbad next to the shore with bullrushs and a hole give it a try,you never know.
    Now you found the spot you plan to fish, before you drop anchor go up and down both ends of you spot and check the depth so if you plan to move after dark you know it will be safe to move. I say this because the river is no place to run after dart, unless you know the river like the back or your hand.
    I seen sandbar move over a 100 yards in a month or two.
    Sometimes you will be the only boat on the river for a miles or more so its always safety first.
    OK, now its time to get that fish you have always been looking for. But you need to have good fishing gear, I would say a good M/H rood, a reel with a good drag (bait casting or spinning) with good line 30# or better. You will need to get live biat and a good bait bucket with a air pump or some way the keep bait fish lively. You can use bluegill,Tapala or goldfish. The way I rig my poles is I use a Carolina rig. I use 40# main line with a slip sinker and bead tryed to 100# test swivel with 18" 40# leader and a Gamakatsu hook 7/0 to 10/0, hook size depends on size of bait. But I have used 3" goldfish with 10/0 hook. Flathead are not hook shy,all they see is the baitfish.
    I do most of my fishing from Blythe to Palo Vrde. I fine the best time to fish the river is from early June to mid October,but the water temperture plays a big part in it, when the water is 65* to 85* is the time to fish for Flatheads.
    So if you are planning a trip to the Blythe area of the river you can camp at Mayflower camp ground north of Blythe off Hwy 95 about 2 miles East on 6th ave. You can get goldfish at B&B bait shop on 8ave west on your way to Mayflower camp ground. Fishing the river in the summer can be HOT 120* in the afternoon and 100* at 2am. But if you want to get flatheads the hotter the better. We will be at Hidden Beaches RV park, You will see it on your way to Mayflower on 6ave. Dale(riverbud) has his trailer there across the street from the store and if we are not there you can see us going up river aruond 4:30 to 5:00 pm Dale (riverbud ) has a 20ft North river with a 150 Yamaha jet outboard, Ryan( martinman) has a 12 foot lowe and I have a 14 foot Sea Nymph with 20hp Merc. So if you make it down and we are there look us up we will give you all the help you need.
    If you are a shore fisherman you may want to check out westcost catmasters they have a lot of good Info on fishing the canels in that area.
    Hope to see you on the river.
    Later Billy Jo

2. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    thanks for the info... i actually never been there so it does seem kinda intimidating, but i cant wait to give the old colorado a shot. Thanks!

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My biggest question on the Colorado is wether anyone knows how deep the holes are further south in the Yuma area?

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dameon, we have a few holes near us up to 33 ft. most of the "holes" down in our section are 12 - 18 ft though. straight out of ferguson lake is a hole that is 30 or so. just south of fisher lake at that rock face is another deep one. then a few in some of the back waters. take the boat one day and just cruise. you'll find them. a "hole" for us though is only maybe 12 ft or so.
    telling you again, someday, we need to hook up. my son is down here now, but maybe in a few weeks i'll be free. nov i've gotta run to idaho again.
    gary

5. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
  6. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was wondering where on the river there is a good clearing so that I could take my family with me to fish for some cats? I am in the local Yuma area so I would like to go as soon as possible.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the BOC. i'm in yuma also. give more info on family please. age of kids would help. (for safety) i know a few spots, but want to be safe in recommending them.
    gary

8. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
    My kids ages are 8 yrs old and my little 6 year old as well. My wife also like to go as well. Hope that helps

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sent you a private message with my phone.
    gary

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    no call from him yet. or message. must be busy.
    gary

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What's up Mark? Just got your massage a bit ago. Sorry I couldnt call this weekend...I was in the hospital. Nothing too bad but I gotta take it easy for a while. Got prescribed some meds that had me in Lala Land all the next day:smile2:! My weekend plans got crushed as a result but I got a call from a buddy Saturday night and ended up on his boat on the river. Im gonna post more on that after I get the pics downloaded.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Billy Jo you are not lieing about the warmest days being the best for flatheads. i always fish at night in Arizona for flats but on the warmest days are when I caught the biggest ones in Yuma the hottest city in the U.S. Here in Indiana I catch the biggest ones in late summer and fall. I used strictly live bait in arizona for flats and strictly fresh cut skipjack for flats in Indiana. just shows you different patterns in different places. You guys in Yuma Ill give you one of my spots alot of people dont fish it because they say its to hard to fish but I never thought so and thats where I caught the big ones. When your heading to lake metry from 32nd street pass the boat ramp at lake metry on the gravel road around the curves up the hill and right there at the top of the hill there is a canal fish right there. Their is a place to park right on the side of gravel road and a little trail to water about 10 feet or so cast as far out as possible with live gills their are big ones their I promise just be patient. need better directions just send a message.

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Jason, I know exactly where you are talking about! I always see RV's parked up there so I never stop. Best believe Im going to very soon!:wink: That advice that you gave me about using primarily live bait has turned out to be some of the best advise I have gotten. Thanks!

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you know, i wished for yrs that i had the license to fish that canal when i lived in ca and didn't have a az license. now that i do, i've never tried it there. HMM? gonna have to try it there when i can.
    gary

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Most times when I drive by there, the water looks pretty low...

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The water being low is good their is only one place I fished it though its at the top of the hill right on the right. When you get to the top of the hill its 20 feet past hill dont take right turn into that little gravel cutoff. Soon as I get a vacation Ill be coming out their Arizona had the best fishing i have ever seen.

17. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Jason, I would have thought the opposite? You all have flats and channels out there in Indiana right? Seems like folks catch alot more blues than flats?

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    next time i go to az i have to fish the river. its just a want of mine to be able to fish that river. and dont know why

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dameon we have very good flat populations here in indiana. but the reason you probably here more about blues is because of the ohio river. a lot of fishermen who fish the ohio do tend to target the blues more than the flats for the soul fact that a big blue fights a lot harder than a big flat. both of which do fight hard, but the blue is more aggressive than a flat. and i also think another reason is because in my eyes its easier to find blues on the fish finder because flats tend to hold tight to the bottom and blues will suspend themselves more often and flats tend to be known as loners and the blues school up a lot more and a lot bigger than the flats do. and the blues bite year round and flats dont

20. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Steve,
    I figured as much brother! I have posted here a few times before about how I wish that we had blues out here in Az. since they are usually found in greater numbers than flats. it must be pretty cool to be able to mark fish on the finder and hook in to em in decent numbers:wink:.