Fishing the Chickahominy River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by F1shermun, Nov 19, 2006.

1. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I went to the river front park and had some luck on Friday night. We caught six Channel's, with the biggest being 15#, one blue 20#, and Two stripers both over 10 #. I've heard tale that the big cats are in the deeper water, but I dont have a boat. Guess I am stuck on the bank.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thanks for your report Jon and welcome to the BOC Family!:big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I used to fish below the low water dam on the Chickahominy during January and February. Fish with small minnows about 12' deep at the first bend of the river below the dam. Course you need to be in a boat, but man, you can kill the crappie. Them days the limit was 35 per day, me and my partner would limit out in just a few hours. Big ones too. If the school had 7" crappie, that was all you'd catch until you located another school...we hunted the 12 - 13" crappie before we started to keep our fish. He ate fish... I never have. Can't stand the smell of them cooking and even dislike the taste. But, I sure have helped a lot of people eat over the years. LOL

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Fishermun - what were you using for bait and how deep were you fishing?

5. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    we were using cut shad. I'm not sure how deep we were fishing. I went out again last night. Shad were hard to get with the cast net. I only caught three stripers. Atleast i didnt come home empty handed.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    wheres this park? surry? could i get some direstions from the isle of wight area to there?

7. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    It's near Jamestown off of hwy 5. Probably better off looking at the website on google. It is called the Chickahominy Riverfront Park. It has a ramp,dock,fishing pier, store and lots of camp sites.
    I have had a hard time getting bait with a net. I saw some local guys fishing with hot dogs.

8. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I heard tale that some really big blues were caught out in the deeper water. I am stuck on the bank. Lately I have only been catching stripers and some small channels.

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    F1shermun, are you on the Norfolk Naval Base?

10. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I am on the Carl Vinson. We are in dry dock at Northrup Grumman ship yard.