Fishing the channel

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by whiskers9512, Aug 29, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    When you guys are fishing the channel what should I look for to determine where to set up? I have mostly fished the head of the dikes and the flats behind the holes. I am just trying to pinpoint on what and where to set up if fishing the channel.
    thanks.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Blake, my favorite daytime spots are outside bends where you'll find humps, drops etc. A lot of times I'll start at the head of the bend and work my way downstream from there.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm not very good at fishing the channels myself, but my suggestion would be basically as Doug says - follow an outside bend, carefully keeping the boat positioned right where the bank and the river bottom meet. Look for depressions, humps, anything that can provide a current break.

The real trick, and the part I have the hardest time with, is putting the boat in the right position and putting the baits in the right position to take advantage of whatever structural element I just located. I still think it's a crapshoot most of the time anyway - the level of precision required to put your bait *right there* is, for the most part, not attainable on a fast-flowing river like the Missouri. You can get close and occasionally get lucky. But there's a fine line between luck and skill.

If you get a chance this winter, spend some non-fishing time out on the river once the water level drops way down, looking for humps and other "likely" spots - mark them all and come back next spring when the water is back up. I've got a dozen or so spots that I marked last year, just with all the flooding, etc., never got the chance to go back and really try them out systematically.

4. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, since it will be cooling off soon I was looking to fish the channel along with the holes during the daylight were it is a little easier to see what you are doing>:big_smile:

5. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i use 8 to 10 oz weights and i go up the bank until i find a hole or humps which is usually in 13 to 20 feet of water and i catch lots of blues on cut bait and bigger channel cats more during the day not so much at night because they move in to shallow water at night to feed but if you fish during the day thats the only way to fish during the day if you want to catch some nice fish