Fishing the Channel of the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I need some pointers on fishing the channel! I have only caught a couple fish doing this! I have heard many different things, but I don't know what wold be the best! Above channel markers?? Depth?? On the bank; Off the bank, If off the bank how far into the river? Faster water or Slower water? Thanks everyone for you help...Good luck!

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No one wants to give any input I guess??

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    First off, I'm not putting any pictures of 60 or 70 lbers up, so take this for what it's worth. The only place I've been catching any fish is the outside channel swing banks. Head downstream(when the channel swings to the other bank) towards the marker, turn back upstream at the marker and follow close to the bank about 10-20 yards out. The places I'm fishing have a pretty deep hole at the marker, then usually a shallower hump above it and then as you keep going you'll hit another hole and then a hump(could be several different holes). There usually is a bunch of accumulated debris on the bottom as well. I've been marking the holes that are holding fish and then anchoring above. I've been catching fish in the mornings till about noon at this type of place. Hope this helps.

4. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    I caught a big blue a couple of weekends ago fishing the head of a dyke fishing for flatheads.

5. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    If you find some slow enough water your fishfinder can really pick up the up and down bottoms.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Right now the bite is on the sandbars behind the dykes, early, late or at night.