Fishing the cape fear before Burgaw

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cdalford, May 4, 2008.

1. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey everyone I'm new here and have been fishing the Cape fear river off of Hwy 53 between jacksonville right before burgaw. I'm having no luck at all I have used minnows,worms,and stinkbaits. Is it a bad area or fish not biting or maybe i don't know what i'm doing. Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused2:

2. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    depends on just what your after try using bream live or eel they both seem to work for me well in that area but remember right now going to be slow for the blues are spawning but the live bream should intice the flatties to bite but patience is still the key

3. spigglejuice

spigglejuice New Member

State:
    nc
    I am down in ft stewart ga I been tring to catch catfish but all I been catching is an empty gas tank on my boat, what would be the best rig and bait to use BUt I am moving to ft brag in dec.:confused2:

4. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    same bait as up above but dont cross out live or cut shad at times its killer ,and welcome to the boc, maybe well see you on the river when you get here we have a few tourny on the cape fear its only 10 min. from bragg

5. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Live Bait if fishing for big ones but if just fishing for supper then I use chicken livers. Don't catch many big ones on livers but you can catch some good to eat. I just use carolina rig with any bait. no roll lead then swivel, 8"-12" leader then your 8/0 or 6/0 hook.

6. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is the carolina rig fished with tight line or a little loose Ive been doing it tight just assumed that was right. Also back home in louisiana had people using bream heads on trotlines catching some nice fish anyone ever done that around here.

7. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fish the lines tight. I mostly fish out of the back of the boat and let the lines go with the current.

8. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    yep,fish em tight.And the carolina rig works best for me.As for the cut bream,I have tried it but mostly catch bowfin on them .I use cut shad and I'm gonna try some eel here soon.Hope you tear em up when ya go :smile2:!!

9. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Oh yeah,let me know if the ramp you are putting in at is Saw Pit boat ramp on White Stocking road or at the reservation landing on Shaw hwy (the ramp down from the Shelter Creek boat ramp.Maybe I can help ya out with some places to go around there:wink::smile2:

10. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    Hay chris my name is flo , and I fish the cape fear river all the time from the 87 boat ramp in fayetteville, to E-town, and wilmingtion , nc all the way to the cost. The best bate for me is #1 eel , bream and shad give thim a try . with #8 / 10 odd Circle-hook
    Thanks flo :big_smile:

11. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tell you the truth i've never looked at the road name where i put the boat out,but its after the bridge on 53 coming from jacksonville but before you get to hwy 40 exit you take the 1st left after bridge.

12. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Chris,
    I know exactly where your putting in at.I fish and duck hunt there :wink:.That is White Stocking road and the name of the boat ramp is Saw pit.If you go down river just up on your left is a big opening.When you go in there the first opening(creek) on the right is Shelter Creek.It will take you all the way back up to,and past Hollands fish camp that is on hwy 53.And there are some gators in there so you will possibly get to see a few.Gets kinda tight in there too but it also is a very beautiful creek to run. If you go on down river from there there are a few other places,like Ashes creek on the left(have to look for it but trust me,it's there.Never fished it cause it is small) and further up there are a few coves.on the left a ways is Fishing Creek.It dead ends right up to the river.The opening has a big patch of hydrilla in front.Swing around it and go in through the canopy of trees.It's beautiful in there.Never catfished it but have caught some other decent fish in there(bait :wink:) Then further up on the right is Peggys Island and there are a few other coves before the river opens up and you are at the reservation landing that is located on Shaw hwy.The river gets busy through there this time of year too so be careful.And just past the reservation landing on your right is Burgaw Creek.Down that way there are some deep holes.
    Ok,let's back up to Saw Pit again.If you go up river,it will take you all the way to Beaulaville.But that is a LONG ways from Saw Pit.But heading that direction the river narrows up,and shallows up when you get to Croom's Bridge.There are alot of good places to try through that river.Live bream and cut shad usally works good for me fished on a carolina rig for the bigger cats.And for the smaller ones(channel cats) I use everything from hot dogs,chicken livers,ivory soap,night crawlers ect. ect.Hope this helps ya out.Hope this will get ya on some fish.Or atleast give ya a idea of where to try.Good luck.

Timber

13. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats where i ran one of my trotlines last weekend,what size/type hooks would you recommend for the lines. also what type of setup do you use for your rods. I think i've been using too small only 2 oz weight with #4 straight hook.Sorry for all the ? just now starting to fish for the big ones want to make sure i have right equip.

14. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    4 oz no roll sinkers, 6/0 to 8/0 circle hook on a carolina rig. At least 30# line on your reels.

15. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    What Charlie said works well :big_smile:.I also use the no roll sinkers in either 2,3 or 4 oz.And I also use egg sinkers in the same weights.I Use a carolina rig and fish a 6/0 to 8/0 circle hook also.Live bream hooked behind the dorsal fin.Or cut bait works too. and I use 30 to 40lb test line. and don't worry about asking questions :wink::big_smile: don't mind helpin one bit.besides,I ask probably more than my share too and all the nice folks on here always help me out.More than glad to do the same.
    Hey,how did you do on the trotlines up that way?

16. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Robbie Didnt get anything on the trotlines, wasnt very smart i tried to use some of the walmart prepacked shad which is junk and i used some stink bait. probably going to try and catch some bream this weekend and freeze till i can get back out and try. don't know if freezing them will hurt any but can't get any worse. Next time you go out holler at me if ya want a tag along.

17. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Sorry to hear the trot lines didn't work out for ya.Never tried the Wal Mart stuff before but don't think I ever will now :crazy:.As for freezing the bream,put water in the bags when ya freeze em.Don't know if it's true (haven't tried it yet) but have heard it keeps em "fresher" that way.Shoot me a pm sometime Chris and let me know where you stay and when your going again and maybe we can team up on em :big_smile:.