Fishing the Brush

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by criggster, May 24, 2007.

1. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a question for those of you that fish the brush. Here's the scenario: There is a spot where a small creek enters the main river and creates a large eddy approximately 100 yards wide by 300 yards long. This place is full of brush and trees and I know it has some good fish in it. But, the problem is that I fish from shore and it is very hard to keep from hanging up. What types of rigs would you suggest?

I thought about using a slip float or a three way rig. I don't know exactly how deep it is but would guess about 15'.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just start fishing it with a slip float and try different depths you will find the one they want.

3. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usualy use a 3 way rig when fishing brush that way if you get snagged its usualy your weight and you dont lose the whole rig.

4. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    u could always use a 3 way rig with a very light line as your sinker line that wayu could break it off really easy and also i would us some ofthe cheapest sinkers u can find tofish in something like that

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try some of Mean Gene's Katbobbers. They'll float the bait right over it and they work really well! Go to our sponsor section and check out his products!

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Definately try a slip float, they can work realy well. There has been a couple of times when nothing else would work or kept getting hung up, so I would switch to a slip float and have had good luck in those situations. Not only try different depths but different baits.

7. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll give the slip float a try. This is one of the few holes I could actually use a slip float rig and not be busy winding line for the next cast. I'll also try the three way swivel; I always use 10 pound test for the dropper.

Do you guys try to suspend the bait just above the brush or would a foot or two above it work? I am concerned about hanging up the slip float and loosing it.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd try it both ways. The fish will let you know when its where they want it. Also,use a piece of rubber band for a bobber stop and put a piece of rubber band above the weights and below the bobber. That way if you get hung up more than likely you'll get the bobber back. Good Luck!!!

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    that kat bobber looks like the way to go, I willl need someof those as well, THanks for the tip

10. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the tip about the rubber band below the bobber. I think I will tie a piece above my sinker to solve the problem. Those bobbers are too expensive to be losing!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No problem. Thats the reason I figured it out,their way too expensive to be losing all the time! I fish a lot of snaggy areas on the Ohio and already lose enough hooks and sinkers as it is.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on how you do!