Fishing the bottom

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Some time ago Vic, made a post about getting the bait off the bottom. I don't decount any information I read on this site, so I thought I would give it a go! This was not a scientific experament, but this is what I did and the results.
    When I went fishing on the Cass the other day, I put one rod out with the bait on the bottom, and the other one about 8" up. Three of the four fish I caught were on the bottom, and one was with the bait up. Four other bites came from the bottom and two came from the pole with the bait up. No, hook up on those six bites.

Now, I did not use a three way swivel, so the next time I go out, I'm going to give that a try. ( This isn't Rocket Science, this is just fishin!).

Oh, by the way Vic, I did find out what you were talking about , using lite equipment from shore. That 8 pounder I got was on my light spinning rod and reel. Needless to say after all that rain and wind the spot I was fishing had a lot of limbs blowin near shore and I couldn't horse that bugger out of it. I did land the fish, but it took some doing. I must admit if I would have had a little heavyer equipment, it would have made life a little easyer.
    Sparky

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,

With heavy enough equipment, if you hook a trophy from shore you can also pull in the tree too. That way the taxidermist already has stuf to use as a base for when you get the replica made!
    :tounge_out: :tounge_out: :tounge_out:

Ive landed fish and brush piles with some of the heavier stuff. It is overkill yes, but from shore where the cats really like to hang out, it is sort of a necessity.

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky, how hard were the hits with the bait up? Was it like a snatch and go, or was it like a tap on the line, then a go?

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    The two that I didn't hook up on, were just kind of a tap, tap. The 4lb fish I caught on that pole, just grabbed it and ran. You know the place I was fisin. I put that bait just down stream of that first bridge piling. I saw a big fish swirl the water there, so I put the bait right there. 5 min. later, I had fish on!
    I had shrimp on both poles.
    Sparky

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is why I rig up with 2 hooks. Off 3-way swivels. One for bottom and the other for 2ft of bottom.
    Theres days the top hook will out fish the bottom. But this way I have better odds in my favor.
    Pete

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I ran two hooks last time I went out, one at the end of my main line and then a sinker about 2' up, then a second hook about 2' up from that. Cast about 50 yars off shore and the only bite I got was a 3 and a half pounder that I landed. He'd taken the higher hook. One fish can't really tell me much though, so my jury is still out.

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Now the guys i have fished with know that i fish a modified perch rig and have for about three years now and have done well about 30 percent of the time the top hook takes fish when you add that into the one or two days i fish:wink: adds up fast