Fishing the big sandy river in Kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rickster, Jun 3, 2006.

1. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hello, i am 19 and i have been fishing the big sandy river what are the chances of me catching a 65 to 80 lber out of the river it aint that big but i think they might be one in thier it has a fast current its trickie to fish in it sometime. and if they are a chances of getting one that big what to look for at a spot or what bait would be the best

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    live bait or cut bait usually work best(bluegill,shad,etc) chicken liver work good for blues too..look to see what baitfish is abuntant in the area you will be fishing and try that...hope this helps

3. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea it shuld thanks i mean i have cought big cats befor but really not out of the river so i will try what about the current its about 3mph to 6 mph fast what shuld we do for it juss use heavier sinkers?

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    with current like that i would see if you could find some no roll sinkers...might be at your local bait shop...also check out theBOC libary for helpful info on fishing rivers and currents

5. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok thanks man i will post u if me and matt doing any good i will try a pic to if its worth it lol thank you tho for ur time and help.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Man that is some fast current. Most of the Tn river is not that fast. I was there fishing 2 weeks ago. And the current was .06 by the GPS and Ky and Pickwick both were running water.
    Guess I was there on a slow day.
    Or are you fishing the upper end of it?
    Pete

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Just wanted to tell you welcome to the BOC and good luck fishing

8. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    water aint that fast in the big sandy, you can wade in it with no troubles balancing yourself at all.

9. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well guys u must not be at were i am becouse what waer is exreamly fast

10. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well lol maybe i went a lil out of the way but it is pritty fast maybe lol not that fast but fast

11. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it also could have been were it juss had rained alot and was up really bad that could have been it

12. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how do yall think about fishing with gold fish u likem or not post me back and let me know if they are good for cathing bignes or not

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've always considered that more of a smallmouth river than a cat river, Though I have seen some sweet spots for cats. My grandparents live next to that river. I've never had luck with the cats there.

14. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    We fish the big sandy pretty regularly and have caught some very nice fish out of there we generally have our best luck on fresh caught shad or skipjacks..We also fish from a boat all of the time in this river we are mostly in the last 10 miles or so of the river before it empties into the ohio..

15. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I live just off the the Big Sandy and have fished it for years. Trots, limb lines and rod. Brother Ive personally seen 80 pound fish come from the Big Sandy. We limb lined a 60 pound flathead ourselves. Not saying its a common occurence but thier there. I like the deep holes above and below small stretches of shallow rapids. Live shad and bluegill along with fresh cut bait have worked best for me. A 12 inch sucker is what we hooked the big flathead on. Also a story of interest a man I know that lives in Emma Ky right off the big sandy has a pic of his dad back in the 50's with a flathead he caught in a trap that was about 60 inches long. Find some ol timers in your area and they can show you the fish:wink:

16. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you want a slower moveing river try the tugfork river

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think we are talking about 2 different rivers.
    I bet yours is in East Ky? And the one I was talking about is in Tn along the Tn river South of Ky dam.
    If so sorry for being wrong .. LOL
    Pete

18. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its ok pete anyways i live right down the road from emme ky like maybe 5 miles and yea i might try that. but for right now i think fish are going into spawn we cought 18 cats last night and thier bellies were buldge out and sorda had so yea and we cought a huge carp we relesed all them into our pond. but thanks for the help

19. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    congrads on your catch fellas

20. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thank you dreamer