Fishing the big red below lock #2

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by gberan, Jul 9, 2006.

1. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Hi all, I am a new member as of yeaterday. Me and my wife Helen, went out on the red river today and had a ball. We launched at 12 noon and fished til 3. We were drift fishing over the drops below the dam. we used cut shad for bait and rods dressed with 12 and 14 pound test mono. The biggest was caught by Helen, it was a blue 43inches long. I did not have a scale or camera just a tape. I guess the weight between 50-55lbs. when we netted it the hook almost fell out, one more twist and it would have been history. We brought home 9 channels that produced 23lbs of fillets. The fish were deep, holding between 20-43 feet over 50 foot of water. There was next to no current, had to drift with the wind, which was nice cause it was Hot. We had a 10ft unbrella for shade thank goodness. yall ought to try it.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    hay Gordon welcome to the BOC. Where in Louisiana are you from? I am from Abbeville but in the process of moving to Marksvill on the Red River. Sounds like you had a good day of fishing. If we are close possibly we could get together.

3. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Hey Larry, I live in Deville La. about 15 minutes from Marksville. There are two locks on the Red in the Marksville area. Lock #1 is at Marksville and the other is Lock#2 located at Ruby. There are two Launches that I use to get to either one. One is located at Vick and one is at Ruby. I would be glad to introduce you to either one or both. Drop me a e-mail at gberan@aol.com or catch me here. When are you relocating? I am semi retired so I can go most of the time with at least a days notice.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Hay Gordon. Good to hear from you. We plan on moving before the end of next mo. if all gos right. In the process of selling our home here and having a double wide modular put on property in Marksville. The property we are buying has a stocked pond on it that is over an acre so you might want to come over and give it a try. Both my wife, Sherry, and I love to fish and would be out every day if we could. She has a bad skin condition that is bothering her right now and can not be out in the sun and this has limited our fishing together. Would love for you to show me the locations on the river. Have not done any river fishing so I have a lot to learn. We could use your boat or mine if I can keep mine running. If things go good plan on getting a new boat after the first of the year. What do you think of a pontoon for the river? Sherry has always wanted one and it would be good for us at our age. I am retired from the Marine Corps and from the Post Office so I can go fishing just about any time. You can contact me by e-mail if you like cherokeeman@cox.net or pm me for the phone number.

5. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Gordon, welcome to the BOC. If you can, be sure to meet Larry. They're good folks. We'll be having a get together the last weekend of September/first of October at Clarks on the Red. Come on by and meet the rest of the crazy people who make up our group up here. The information is in the Gatherings area, under R4.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Welcome aboard Gordon! You will like it here! The people are great and the stories are tall!

Larry, I looked hard at fishing a pontoon on the river and would have bought one if my bro-in-law didn't have to sell his jeep. Could not turn it down!

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Welcome Gordon. Sounds like you had a really good fish! Get a digital cameral and some scales for the boat!

Larry a pontoon boat would be fine for the river. You'd like it I'm sure. A good and inexpensive one is always in my scope but very hard to come by. If I see one I'll let ya know.

8. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Hey fellow fishermen/ladies. I think I will like it here. As for the pontoon boat Larry, I have one of those too, but it is out of commission right now. I have used it on the Red as well as my bass boat. I like the pontoon for fishing with the family when the grand kids are here, it is hard to get 17 people in a 15ft bass boat. I like the bass boat when just me and the misses go out. It is easier to handle on the launch and fishing in the current. Before you buy either test them both. I will be contacting you by e-mail shortly. As for the rest of you guys, and I use the term loosely because I know there are gals out there too, I appreciate the welcome and look forward to shareing fish stories.:big_smile:

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I already have an 18 foot center console fiberglass boat but it is not running that good and is fairly old and worn out. A new boat is in the future for us so that we will not have so miny worries when we go out.