Fishing the Arkansas River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by coke1, Oct 11, 2007.

1. coke1

coke1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I recently fished at L/D 14 above the dam. I did okay, but really was worried about the barge traffic. I have a 16' alumunum boat with a 9.9 and was wanting to know if it safe and just how do you handle meeting a big barge.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    lock 14 that's in Tkishkape (albert) territory, sounds close to his spot too! :eek:oooh: I used to have a 9.9 a few years back and a 20hp....Remember they follow the bouys always between the red and the green. They will not stop either my friend. When one comes stay away so you dont get wiped out by the waves from him pushing the load. Learn the channel markers, that's where they run. I would stay back a couple hundred yards at least. fish them flats he won't be headin in there:smile2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a bigger boat & motor now, but I began fishing the Arkansas with a 14' flatbottom & 6hp Mercury. Having a trolling motor is a good backup just in case you're in the channel and your outboard quits. Just keep an eye on the river, and don't wait till the last minute to get out of the way of those barges. I've only had one 'nervous' experience with one. That was at night, we had gotten turned around, and thought we were on the 'safe' side of a channel marker when we were actually in the channel. The channel ran close to shore there, so all we could do was to hug the shoreline as close as possible while the barge went by about 50' away. As far as the waves go, I think that the waves from a large pleasure boat are much larger and more dangerous than the ones from barges. Now, 50-60 years ago, the barges had a flat front, and they would really kick up some big waves. I remember that when we saw a barge, we hunted a place where we could pull up to shore and get out of the boat; it was a 14' Alumacraft V-hull. I've seen that boat half full of water after the barge waves hit, and had to bail it out. (That's why we would get out of the boat.)
    Do be careful about running in too close behind a barge. While there aren't any big waves there, the water is absolutely boiling from those big props. I've had the boat jerked sideways for 20'-30' before I could draw a breath. Easy to go over the side.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, i was just wondering if any of your local fishermen's of this river or dam, on here have pics of tihs dam below or from above, just curious to what it looks like, since i have never been down there, and if that's close to where that barge hit about 5 or so years ago???thanks alot.

5. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It's not far from the I-40 bridge that collapsed. But it is above the dam and the bridge a below the dam about 5 miles or so...Load up google earth and you can see the dam live!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

6. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    alright thanks sam, hey could you send me a link, just because i think i've tried to download one of those programs, and never could find the right one or something like that, but yeah if you cuold send me a link, i'd appreciate thanks alot

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i wish i had 10 million dollars!:wink:
    handle it, Tony:smile2:

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey guys, i've downloaded that google earth free one, is that the right one? i saw several diffrent versions but looked like they cost money, haven't been able to see actual photos or live photo's yet, maybe just need to play around on it more perhaps????

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Google Earth (Free) will enable you to see any place on the globe. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT real time pictures. It is merely a patchwork of satellite images collected over various times of the year, that way you ultimately remove all cloud cover etc.

It is a really cool site. Not sure why you are having problems.

Good luck, keep trying or go to the BOC Computer section for help.

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well i didnt have any trouble downloading (google earth - free), just for example i'm confused cause i had a freind told me that he could actually see my dock and my house on my lake, but when i try to zoom in and stuff i don't see any houses or boats or actual pictures, just the contour of the land, wondering if that's normal, or if he was seeing something diffrent then me

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes, he is seeing actual photographs. Not sure what you are doing?

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the resolution of google earth has a lot to do with what the feds allow us to see, how recent the pics are, and above all, how many users are trying to access it at any given time....try worldwind, it was the first, it is from the feds, and it is the slowest

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here is a Google Earth snapshot that I just pulled up from Lake of the Ozarks MO. You should be seeing this and also be able to tilt the horizon and fly around like a bird. It's really cool.

Attached Files:

15. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Darryl,

I can see your picture but cannot tilt, change, or move it in any way.
    I thought Google Earth used satellite pictures, not real time. Could be wrong.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mike, of course you can't tilt my pic. I just took a snapshot of the screen.

I never said the pics were real time. In fact somewhere on here I corrected Big Sam and said they were a patchwork of satellite images.

And yes if you grab the knob thingy in the upper right corner you can fly anywhere you want with a birdseye view. Tilt the horizon with the slider thingy first and it is even cooler.

Everybody go play with it. I am going fishing.

EDIT:
    I said real photographs because the poster said he was only seeing topo info. I corrected Big Sam on another thread, not this one.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike, within google earth you can tilt, change, and move it. And yes, google earth is satellite photos. It is not real time.

Another good tool is http://maps.live.com/
    aka Microsoft Live Maps.

I have attatched 3 images from maps.live of Keystone Dam.
    First is thier "bird's eye view"
    2nd is their "hybrid view" as a close up
    3rd is their "hybrid view" from back a ways

how much detail you can see in any of them depends on the resolution of the shots, and how close you can zoom in. For example, keystone dam you can zoom in close and actually see features. Mannford ramp at Keystone on google earth you can NOT zoom in close, but on maps.live you can.

Attached Files:

18. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Thanks T-Dog and phil for helping out been off line for a day or 2.:tounge_out:

19. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    The upper Arkansas blue cat fishing has been heating up in the low water holes the last week or 2 when the water is under 2000cfs. Gotten a 41lb and 37lb fish last week, and a 32lb yesterday. All of them have been caught on cut carp. Gonna try again this afternoon before the river goes back up if I can manage to catch some decent bait in time.

20. ttrott

ttrott New Member

State:
    Noble, Oklahoma
    Does anyone know of a website i can look up the different locks and dams, boat ramps and any other info i may need to know for the Arkansas River? Thanks ahead of time, Trott.