Fishing the Alton Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by drcwaynem, May 30, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All,

I could use some pointers on how to fish the Alton Dam. I plan on fishing for blues and flats. Plan on using skipjack, shad, liver and bluegills. My questions are:
    a. Where is the best place to launch
    b. What part of the dam or near the dam should I set up
    c. will 3 oz sinkers do? or should I use 5 oz

I have attached an overhead image of the dam to help out.

Thanks for your help!!!

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    a. There is a ramp right below the dam on the MO side. Take the bridge or 367 depending on where you are coming from and take the road that goes by the Fisca station....follow it all the way to the dam and there is a ramo.
    b. From the bank...just anywhere along the riprap (I dont bank fish)....From a boat...just look for holes, structure, etc.
    c. 3 oz will not do in the current and sometimes 5 wont either. It just depends on the spot and the current. Just take plenty of lead!

Let me know if you have any other questions.! Good luck and let us know how you do

3. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    A. Boat Ramp On Mo. Off 367 The First Left Across The Clark Bridge There's A Gas Station On The Left.turn Left At The Gas Station And Follow It Down, You Will Turn Left Again When You See The Dam It Will A Rock Road.
    B. I Catch Skipps, Mooneyes,and Shad Around The Dam.
    C. Weight I Flat 8 No-roll Or 10-14 Oz3-way Rig.in A Boat I Will Fish The Mo.side .i Bank Fish The Illinios Side.

4. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    can anyone tell me about the boat launch on the missouri side just south of the alton bridge (adjacent to the dam)? I hear that it may be steep and make launching difficult. In fact, I read on post that said that one member had to get three people to push the boat off of the trailer just to get it into the water. I'm new at this and don't quite understand that.

Wayne

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Wayne... I have a heavy, fiberglass boat and couldn't get in water enough to float it.. Your boat is aluminum, you won't have any problem launching there...

6. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    anyone been fishing below the dam lately. just wondered how the boat ramp was. i see they have dropped the water level to 4.6 now.

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was there saturday you were still able to launch your boat then caught acouple of nice ones after the rain stoped

8. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was there Satuday morning. Didn't do any good at all. I suppose I should have stayed or came back later after the rain.