Fishing the Alton Dam

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by drcwaynem, May 30, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All,

I could use some pointers on how to fish the Alton Dam. I plan on fishing for blues and flats. Plan on using skipjack, shad, liver and bluegills. My questions are:
    a. Where is the best place to launch
    b. What part of the dam or near the dam should I set up
    c. will 3 oz sinkers do? or should I use 5 oz

I have attached an overhead image of the dam to help out.

Thanks for your help!!!

Attached Files:

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Do you know how to get to the Missouri side of the dam? If so that is the spot to fish on a boat, but you will need at least 5 oz weights. Once you pull in the parking lot there on the Mo side there is a boat ramp on the right side you cant miss it. If you are fishing for the big ones I would stick with whole or cutbait fish depending on the size of the fish. But anywhere in the area right behind the dam to the power plant are good spots to fish. The fish tend to move around alot out there, so one day you will find a nice hole and the next day at the same hole there is nothing. So just be patient and try out differant areas and you will catch some nice cats. Make sure to get there early as well, like about 5-530am because this warmer weather is going to have everyone out there now. So that little parking lot can get filled up pretty quick for parking.

3. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh,

I have two 20 lb anchors for my 16 ft grumman boat. Is it a muddy bottom or is it rocks? Will those hold well and the ever bigger question is...will I be able to get them back?

Wayne

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The middle of the river is going to be mud/silt mix and the edges are nothing but rock. I dont see why you would have any problems with 40lbs of weight holding your 16 ft boat down as long as the current isnt very heavy where you are going to fish. The closer to the dam the heavier the current. But you will have better luck fishing the tailwaters (where the current starts to slow down) by the dam. Thats where all the cats will be waiting for suspended bait fish and feed.

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I fish below the dam all the time and when I first started out I lost 3 anchors that weren't slip ring style I would suggest trying to use a slip ring or chene so you can retrieve it. It seems like after you get passed the concrete walls and down stream 100 yards or so it gets to be sand and mud. good luck!

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i too have lost two anchors in the last two years fishing below that damn i guess ill have to try a defferent style of anchor

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Use Rebar To0 Make An Anochord With. Justweild Them Together

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I would recomend the Chene style anchor. They are very retrieveable. The regular mushroom anchor will hold when it catches on concrete or debris. They you will have to cut the rope to move again. Right now the river level is around 8 ft. That will seem like it is really ripping. It takes a good anchor to hold.

Also use 5 oz sinkers at least right now with the river level where it is.

9. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, gonna give the Alton Dam a shot in the morning. Hopefully, I will get a couple good eaters at least. Will fill you all in when I get back in the afternoon.

10. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I hope you have fun. When I fish from the boat Iwill use a 12 oz sinker and pray that it holds but Ireccomend taking a lot of weight and just put as much on as you need to make your bait do what you want. I have sat down there a lot and sometimes I have used up to 24oz of weight. I catch most of my fish on gut pockets (Shad and Herring) but the biggest was on a head. hooked through the top of the head and through the bottom of the mouth. Be careful wear a life jacket and If you can't launch because of water levels park at the alton marina and go through the lock. If you want to know how to lock through just let me know

11. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Didn't do too well. In fact, I only saw 3 other boats beside mine. NO ONE WAS CATCHING ANYTHING. Current was slow enough that 5oz got the weight to the bottom and held fine. All I got was a couple of nibbles. Maybe I will have better luck next time.

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Are the skipps biting around Mo side of the bank.

13. catsalot

catsalot New Member

State:
    illinois
    good spot spend alot of time there my self. move to find them when you do hang on it could be huge!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

14. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Has anybody been down there recently, if so how are they hitting?

15. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I'm Catching Them On Cricket In The Tailwaters .i Just Fish The Currents.around The Dam.