Fishing the AAC

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Jul 25, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    fished the canal for a couple of hours last night, seems the bite is really starting to pick up. one small keeper fish (about 2lb channel cat) and one CPR (10lb channel cat). i don't think the 10lber was a female (as it didn't look pregnant . . . and 10lb is on the borderline for keeping (in my book), but considering that the canal was recently lined i put it back.

for at least the next couple of years, anything of 5lbs is going back (along with the norm of anything under 1.5lb going back).

heard lots of bullfrogs and catfish activity last night, so that is definitely a good sign. was using various kinds of stinkbait (dannykings garlic, catfish charlie blood, and catfish charlie cheese), bluegill and nightcrawlers. landed the 10lber on the cheese stinkbait

funny thing, not so much as a nibble on the cutbait . . . it was my first time using bluegill cut bait and thought it would be much more successful.

side note:

anyone know when the spawning season for cats finishes on the AAC? i heard july, but i was just wondering if anyone can confirm this.

thanks,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Not sure if the regular spawn activity will be thrown off by all the lining or not. In the past I think June July was the time period. Did you notice the current was increased a lot as a result of the lining of the canal? Did you have to increase weight to stay in the strike zone as a result of current? Glad to hear stink bait still has a chance in the AAC. Congrats on the catch.

:cool2:

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    truth, this is the biggest i have ever landed . . . . i am not one to pass up a good fried meal (i am a redneck), but my release weight is 10lb and considering the hell the canals went through i am temporarly putting that weight to 6 lbs

i weight on catch, and per the cabelas scale that was an 11lb fish. the belly wasn't swollen lile some of the others, but IMO it wasn't worth taking the risk

lets be honest, how many channels get to 10+? and for those that do, I think we should let them reproduce. theses aren't flats, they are channels . . .

did i mention that i caught a 2lber that fried up good?

hehehheheheh

4. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    apologies for not responding to this sooner . . . i fished a part of the canal that isn't lined. just before it comes into calexico it reverts back to a mud-lined canal. my thinking is, they only lined the part that ran through the desert sand, and not the part that goes through farmland. as the desert sand is much more porous than farming soil, that would make most sense to me.

my concern with the lining is the number of big-uns that were pulled out of the canal (and put in various nearby lakes) or left for dead. i have noticed a significant drop off in bite activity in the part that i normally fish, but it is hard to tell if that was just a fluke. reason i say that is, it just started getting to that hot and humid part of the year that the catfish love.

i am going to hit up the central main the next time i am in calexico, and if the bite is back to how it was, i will figure the AAC lining impact was restrained to the lined area.

will keep you guys posted on what i find.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the report Doug.... I'm like you ... I like to CPR most of my fish... I do like to eat fish.... don't get me wrong... but when I'm out that way.... I"m camping, and a BBQ steak or even some sausage is a great meal.... If others are there, I'll do the "fish fry" for the group... such as when I'm at Glamis and there are many folks that can get into the or'dorves of cat bits....

Got to keep the genes going.... lots of eater size fish out there....

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Man, more power on the steaks and sausages a lot now. I can not digest red meat like I use too. Maybe its my metabolism now I don't know. Gots to get more active back in the gym nowadays to keep my body right. Ate some ribs the other day at around 3pm, was still full 3am in the morning. LOL. Same with eating short ribs, steak, and other red meat now for me. High blood pressure too? Gots to watch that diet now. Including fried foods. El Pollo Loco and subway been my friend lately.