fishing tearms?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by charbob4jesus, Sep 25, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    what does rip rap mean? where are they? what are bridge filings? where are they? sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to get the hang of this. what are lock and dams? any pics or sketches would help.

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    rip-rap is the stones that are place on the shore line to stop erosion, usually rip-rap is found around bridges and along the roadways leading to bridges, but can be any were erosion needs to be controled.

Bridge filings, I think you ment bridge pilings, and the piling are the vertical legs of the bridge.

Locks and Dams are used on rivers to control water levels, think of them as a stair step each step is a higher level of water and lock allow boat traffic to move from one level to the next by entering the lock the water level is raised or lowered depending on with way you are travaling on the river.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great response. I would only add that rip-rap holds a large amount of bait fish because it creates thousands of small hiding places for them. Of course those bait fish bring in the catfish! Great fishing locations, but famous for snags!

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Great responses Kenny and Shane. Covers it all. Charlie those are not dumb questions. Thats what makes us all better. Ask and learn!

Tom

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You got that right. Everyone has learn sometime and I learn something new everyday on this site.