Fishing Tackle and Gear -How much fishing tackle is enough

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tncatfishing, Dec 14, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    How many of yall carry to much tackle, equipment, etc. with ya, but don't use it all. In my car I carry with me at all times 4 poles , two fold out fishing seats, dipbasket, cast net, tackle box, gaf, cooler, pale for bait, two stringers, two lamps, three or four knifes. Three rod holders. The fold out seats have only been used twice and one of those times it was used as a table, only use one knife, hey you can never have two many. And the gaf I have never used. :cool:

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i know that mark i carry a lot of stuff but i always use it all so what you need to do is make a list of things that u use the most then just carry that stuff from then on big buddy

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    8 R/R, minnow trap, three tackle boxes, 1 five gallon bucket with odds and ends, folding chair, two nets, God only knows how many flashlights and knives, no idea how many different rod holders, three stringers, Box of paper towels from the local car shop, about 9 or ten spools of line, have at least three times that amount of stuff in my shed. I never know what all I have in my truck, but there is always more than I need.

Here in Illinois, you are only allowed to use two poles, so why do I need to carry eight?? I only need one sinker and an assortment of hooks, sinkers, and swivels. The line is already on the poles, only need one spool for making leaders, second thought don't need it, I make them ahead of time. By the time I get to the bank to fish, I need to set down and catch my breath from carrying a ton of stuff I don't need to take, but then you just can't never tell. lol Dick

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of my spots require a long walk. Yes I carry way to much gear also, but I always want to be prepaired..Usually I have with me 2-rods, 2 -heavy rod holders, Fold up chair, tackle bag with way to many sinkers :D Hooks, extra reel, digital camera, scale, water, landing net if fishing a high bank area, cooler with shad or other cut bait, bait bucket with live bait...Kinda hard packing all this stuff up to a mile on rough terrain, which may include wading a river.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A list heck you never know when you may need two chairs, might want to prop my feet up on one. But realy I just like to keep all my stuff in one place even though I don't use it all at the same time. I try to be over prepared.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol i've at times had 7 rods and reels, 3 tackle boxes, 9 rod holders including boat ones for my canoe (i didn't have the canoe with me), 2 landing nets, 3 cast nets and 3 or 4 5 gal buckets... i just never knew when i'd be out fishing and/or what kind of fish i'd be catching... i've trimmed back since then to one rod and reel thats permanently in my truck and a small tackle box w/ small and large hooks, and weights... plus a few small lures/jigs.

I have to believe in the Boy Scout motto... BE PREPARED...

heck i even carry needle nosed pliers with me (almost everywhere) just incase. Also on my "tool belt" (as my gf calls it) is a mini maglight and a pocketknife w/ screwdriver instead of cork screw. haven't been to many issues that there wasn't something on that that could help me out.

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    heh when i go out for a day of fishing it depends on what i go fishing for but average i carry 12 poles reels 3 tackle boxes net knives tools dont need seats or pole holders thats all on the boat. use the forward livewell for a ice chest so i am setup pretty much for anything i get into lol.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    My jeep has 5 catfish rods, 3 bait rods, two chairs, table, two lanterns, 3 flashlights, one spotlight, stove, coffee pot, kettle for boiling water for coffee, frying pan, 2lbs coffee, sleeping bag, chainsaw, landing net, shad net, tackle box, 5 gal. bucket full of tackle, ice chest, extra fuel for lanterns and stove, gas and oil for the chainsaw, stand for the lanterns, a tarp(in case it rains), a change of clothes in case I got to go in the water after a big one. I think thats all, my son brings the rest of the stuff in his truck(his gear, the grill, a big icechest, a bigger tarp).

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    lets see i got about 6 poles all around 8ft, latern, ice chest, 2 chairs, 2 cast nets, 1 big dip net, 2 stringers, 3 knifes, one medium size bag filled with fish cleaning gear, 1 large soft tackle box filled to the max pockets wont even zip up, roll of tolite paper, battery powerd radio, fishing pole holders and a five gallon bucket that doubles as a tackle box and a bait bucket and i dont know how many weights, lures and hooks are just laying around in my car. dont have much room for a fishing partner all this stays in my car all the time woman wont let me keep it in the apartment

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehe gotta have the toilet paper as no job is finished till the paper work is done :p

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for me its usually 3 cat poles 1 extra bait pole (yeah yeah i know im not in compliance with the rules), tackle bag which includes all the necessary stuff plus a radio and baby monitor for that far away pole(has to be 30 lbs), small cooler, a lawn chair or sleeping bag, and if im in a bad area my .357. i usually fish with one or two more people so the burden is spread out. most of my spots now are easy to get to due to having a boat, canoe, and makin freinds with landowners.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    When I am shorefishing, I have a "winter" and "summer" duffle bags. The I always take my summer bag. The winter bag has my rain poncho, wool blanket, jacket, socks and sweat top and bottoms. In the other bag is my scale, camera, blanket, slippers, couple pole holders, batteries, florencence lantern, headlamp, matches, mantles, cap, gloves, 45 cal., bug spray wipes, firestater sticks, mess kit, first aid kit. This is off the top of my head. I know I am forgetting some things :blink:
    I take a lil ice chest, "contents" ;) bagged chair, lantern, flood light, landing net with extendable pole, bucket, stove, coffee pot 4 poles, sleeping bag, a 3 man tent (puts up and down in 5 seconds!!!).

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know what you fellas mean i always carry to much stuff.I had to downsize my tacle box so i would have to make 100 trips back to the truck.So i got a small one just to put my catfishing tackle only in it,hooks,sinkers, bobbers pliers ,that type of thing.I have another tackle box that has like 5 or 6 drawers in plus the top opens.its gigantic.
    I need some kind of little hauler with wheels,kind of like a golf bag but with a big basket that would hold my takle box ,rods that type of thing.Any ideas?Im tired of making all those trips back and forth to the truck.

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    LOL, after reading this one, I had to run outside and see if my jeep was still there! ;)
    Basicly, I always have too much gear with me, but you can bet your last dollar, the one thing I leave behind, is the one thing I will need more then anything else!

15. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have(in the warm months) 6 rod'n'reels, a tackle box,a walmart bag full of other odds and ends,a 5 gallon bucket for baitand or the catch of the day, a cold drank, a small snack,and last but not least a tool box full of tools I need to make sure I dont get brokedown on the side of the road or lake. My tracker is full to the rim with the rich smell of stankbait.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I carry 2 reels and rods, tackle box, cooler, bait bucket, and some chairs.

18. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I have really tried to trim down the amount of tackle I keep in the boat. I have gone to a couple of tackle trays to hold all of the hooks ,swivels, weights and such. I then have a 5 gallon bucket with the cast net in it and the cutting board with the fillet knife for cut bait. I used to have a Bass Tracker and it got old having stuff under my feet all the time. It is a pain though when a school of sandies comes up and I dont have any of that gear in my boat.

ScottB

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally right now I'm on the bank and carry at least 15 rods.....reason for that is because I usually use huge bait and I want to have as many lines in the water as I can and I want to be covering the most water I can. Because I usually dont get alot of bites, but the bites I do get are big fish alot of times. I want to improve my chances anyway I can. But I usually will throw out like 1-2 poles with smaller bait like 2-4 inch pieces of cut-bait or something to catch some "Eater" size cats. The guy that held the previous workd record blue cat the Lake Texoma 121 lb "Splash"....He used alot of poles too, I do pretty much the same thing he does. I throw out alot of poles over a huge area of water and put them in a pole holder, sit back, and wait for the monster to start ripping line of my reel......Ahhh, now that's a good sound.... :D

20. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    The more poles the more of a chance you got to catching fish.

always bringing to much gear lol