Fishing superstitions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Muddler, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone else out there superstitious?
    I consider myself to be a rational person, of course, but I have a couple of superstitions regarding fishing. There’s one belief that I never—well, rarely—break: I won’t take a drink until the first fish is caught. I mean beer, pop, water—nothing. This goes for catfishing, fly fishing, saltwater, bass fishing—anything. I’ve gotten plenty thirsty, too, because I don’t always remember to take a sip before I rig up. If anyone in my fishing party catches a fish—not just me—I feel free to reach for the cooler.
    I mentioned this to a fishing buddy who is quite a religious man and he muttered for a while about “pagan idolatry.” I don’t see it that way, although I can’t explain it.
    Anyone else have any fishing superstitions?

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I am not a superstitious person. So,i can't rightfully say that i have any that i know of!! But, everyone is their own unique individual and has their own beleifs and practices!

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    See now my superstition is just the opposite.... I feel ya need to be drinking something in order to wake the fish up.... LOL
    other than that, no superstitions with fishing here...

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only time that I will smoke a cigar is while fishing. Usually have some in my tackle box. But I don't light up until I catch a fish. Don't know if it's superstition or if I feel like I earned a stoge. Had a lucky hat too 'till I lost it in the missouri river. Caught lots of fish after that, so I guess the lucky feeling I got while wearing it was unfounded.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont think i have any either.. but a buddy of mine says he does the catfish call and it gets the big ones going... lol

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My buddy that just passed away used to do the 'fish dance' It would work sometimes but we'd always get a good laugh out of it.I'll have to do it next time I go.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont have a fishing superstition but theres a little saying we used to say when i was a boy thats stuck around...

Fishy fishy in that brook
    why dont you bite on my GD hook!

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I Had A Lucky Pole Once, I Was So Lucky A Fish Pulled It
    In The River. I Had No Pole, No Fish, So I Guess My Luck Ran Out At That Point.
    Keep On Hookin-um

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I REFUSE TO FISH WHERE I SEE BIGGER FOOT PRINTS THAN MINE(bigfoot). LMAO

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    not so mutch a superstition as an observation but the fish will usually bite when your off doing something else not paying attition :cool2:

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    as normal i dont yell or even whisper fish on till their is , and it never fails stand on the back of the boat to drain the main and a fish will bite (the rod not me) lol

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Charles is so right,just start taking care of nature and the fish will bite:roll_eyes: .At least it seems like it.Can't say that I'm superstious about any of it.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not me..............But I will say I only fish when with someone or by myself.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I leave my stringer and pliers in the tackle box until I catch a fish, never before. I've done it since I was a kid. Anytime I didnt well ya know.

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know why but I always put a fresh chew in right after I get all of my lines in the water. I think it was from when I was younger and fishing with my Grandma.

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have no superstitions. Must have bait on the hook, that's about it. LMAO :lol:

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I don't have any personnally but bro in law wouldn't ever throw the first fish he caught back in no matter how small. Said it threw his luck away.

18. MikeYoungs

MikeYoungs New Member

State:
    La.
    Yesterday I accidently knocked over the salt, while opening an umbrella in the house, that I was using to chase off a black cat that just walked in my path. Then I ended up breaking a mirror while walking under a ladder. I noticed all the cows were laying down when I went to the river. I had a hard time casting into a strong easterly wind. But, I caught a nice stringer of fish anyway:)

19. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I intend to catch a big fish I must lay my net beside the furthest away rod, in order for the fish to find the rod I am next to. Fish seem to know by which rod the net lies and bite accordingly, if I keep the net with me the fish seem to bite infrequently and are usually small. My biggest fish all bit when I was over 50 yards away socializing with fellow fisherman, then i can turn around and see the 8 foot rod doubled over, or hear the bait clicker screaming.

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Well Joe,

I do alot of fishing with the "in-law" & it's great :big_smile: , but on the way to the fishing spots, they have this thing about "Cows Standing-up" that they see on the way to the fishing spot meaning that it's going to be a good day on the water.
    But I have one problem with that, the Cows are sometimes "Laying Down" and we still have a good day on the water & in the best fishing spot that we go up to, some of the "Cows" are "Standing-up" and some are "Laying Down".
    "Now What"? :confused2:

So you see my problem. lol:happy:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil