Fishing structure

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by shadguts, Jan 30, 2007.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is a lake near here its about 525 acres. The lake has been built for approx 18 years. There have been several 30lb cats caught there and lots of 20lbs. The entire lake is covered in fallen timber. Where would you start? Deepest part is @ 30ft.

2. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    It is true that cats hold structure, but structure does not always mean timber. There is structure like timber and verticle structure like drop offs or walls from flooded houses. Remeber that the channels are like the main highways for cats, and most holding spots will be within easy distance from a deep area. Points and culverts can be structure too, especially if they lay not too far from deeper water. Fish edges too. Like the edges of weed beds or the edge of a drop off. Put as many good points together and you will almost alway find them. Remeber, an edge like off deeper water with some kind of stucture and easy acess to food is better than a bare edge or just structure laying in the middle of a flat. Also, look for birds. They usually gather where the baitfish are at. And were there are baitfish there are usually cats. just throw your castnet and use cut bait from whatever is out there accessable to the cats. I would start at a promising edge and cast to about 4-5 different depths. One to the deep water, on about half way down the drop off, one at the top of the drop off, one a little farther back from the top and one right by whatever the structure is on the top side.. Hope this helps.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think timber is a good place to start.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Justin gave you excellent advice.
    I would only add that if you can get a map of the lake use it to find the channel. Cruise around and look for suspended cats and offer them baits. They could be in the middle of the water column or just a foot or so of the bottom in the creek channel...W

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    One more thing that I would add is that if the lake stratifies in late summer, then a hump that extends just above the thermocline can be one of the best places to fish in all the lake. The fish will hold to that thermocline just like a hard bottom and any structure extending above that point is always an attractor.

6. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    thanks for the good words metalman

7. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    if it's only 500 acres just move around a lot and try all the different areas until you've covered the whole lake

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If the lake has an earthen dam, there's probably a 'borrow pit' within a hundred yards or so out in the lake where they dug out dirt to build the dam. Sometimes the fishing is good down in the hole, but more often, the areas around the hole. Try a live bream 4'-6' below the surface at night.

9. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I part from the norm on this and I'm assuming that you're talking about bluecatfish since you've posted this on the bluecat forum ... I consider blues to be an open water fish when thy're actively feeding ... water clarity is a key to how they move also .. if the water is muddy they'll be on the prowl all the time ... if it's clear then they'll be a little more reluctant to roam and will be holding more towards structure until they're mature ... mature blues are almost always open water fish. this is how I find them by using shad schools to tell me where they're feeding. also they'll feed shallow in 2 ft or less water if the bait is there. there's been a few occasions that I've focused on structure fishing as sometimes during winter they will hold on a stick in the mud out in front of a cove ... last winter I caught over 100 blues that averaged 10 lbs each on most days until a front came through and scattered them. there was lots of shad there and they had no reason to leave the area for a few weeks. if there's shad in this lake then pay attention to them and if you find some that's thick but busted up then there's probably several fish feeding on them ... watch the gulls if there are any and a lot of times they'll tell you where the fish are ... if you see gulls feeding in an area and you go through there and the shad are busted up but plentiful then anchor off and broadcast several rods in all directions .. use a bottom sinker rig and stay away from carolina rigs as the bait settles into the mud like that. put the bait up in the strike zone and you'll catch a lot more fish than if you use a carolina rig. good fishin