Fishing Structure for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Leakyboat, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

How much similarity is there in fishing structure for bass and blues?Do you think they would hold on say old house foundations?
    Leakyboat

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Blue's are open water fish, so there not as attracted to structure as much as other fish are. Although they do like structure, I think they like structure like drop-offs from shallow water to deep water, things like that I believe are blue cat structures. I'm not a "pro" or anything, just my input though.

good luck :)

3. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I should of put the depth,these old house foundation set in about 25' of water.There's 3 of them within about 50 yards of each other.There is some
    45' to 50' water 100yards away.This is in a lake.
    Leakyboat

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    if it holds bait fish, they will be there

it sounds like to me a high percentage spot would be between the foundations and the dropoff .. not to mention carefully placing baits in various locations around the foundations

i've found that all species of catfish are very structure oriented .. whether its a tree, rock, house foundation :D , ledge, wing dam .. especially in a current situation .. channel cats are probably the least structure oriented of the bunch, with flatheads being the most structure oriented with blues being a close second

the only time i've ever caught a blue away from structure is on a flat adjacent to a ledge or other piece of structure where they were feeding

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good info ! I need a lesson in this subject. Keep it coming :)

6. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    What I find is they use the structure and they use the open water. More or less, I think they travel the same paths, day in, day out. You know, just like you go to your favorite burger place, the same time, every day. They are usually found in certain places on each individual body of water at certain times of the year - just like clockwork. I think they get a general route going. Whether it be because of tide, bait movement or water temp, or maybe more than one variable is what causes them to do this. But one thing I know for sure ; and that is that I have been catching them in the same haunts every fall / winter and they are alwasy present, but it's a matter of catching them inbetween meals.

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    the blues around here don't use open water .. they simply don't have to .. they stay protected on structure and ambush the plentiful shad as they see fit .. they only time they ever roam truly is during slack tide periods .. these fish don't get big by being stupid .. they conserve as much energy as possible and take easy meals .. i would think that smaller fish would utilize open water more than a large fish would .. they dont get big by chasing shad around!

muskyman is right on about pathways and being in the same spots year after year .. that's why keeping a log book can be such an important tool

if you know you caught a big fish in 30ft of water on incoming tide, with the water temp at 50 degrees, on an overcast day, the first week in december and that situation presents itself again .. more often than not that same pattern will be true

another good point muskyman brought up about pathways .. a severly underfished pattern during spring and fall .. i've heard people all fall complaining about how bad the fishing was .. well the fish weren't in their summertime spots and werent yet in wintering holes .. where were they then? traveling of course .. if you know where they were during the summer and where they are during the winter you simply need to fish along those travel routes .. i caught fish this fall using that technique .. several other people i know did too .. at this point of the year i've pretty well worked my way to the wintering holes but until the water is truly cold enough to hold them there i still work along those travel routes .. they are typically the edges of the channel or an old creek bed in a lake .. it requires more patience and quite a bit of map and depth finder study .. but use it i bet it works for you too

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, in water deeper than a couple or three feet, any structure that holds bass will hold cats, especially blues. Yeah, I know that blues will form packs in the summer and roam the open water, but fishing structure for them can be very good too, especially if you look at deep water structure for bass such as channel edges and deep stumprows.

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    jtrew, I was gonna say the same thing,lol. I have noticed that my favorite deepwater bass "holes" usually have a lot of blues mixed in. One of my favorite spots out on the main lake is a steep drop from 18ft down to 45ft with stumps all over the ledge. I'll go back and forth between the spotted bass and bluecats dropshotting live or dead threadfin shad.

10. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I totally agree. In the last few years I have started fishing around and inside large brushpiles and logjams. Heavy equipment is a must. But, I have noticed not only do I catch flats, but a considerable amount of blues. All of them came from structure.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for all of this info :)

12. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man i guarantee theres a couple of monster resident flatheads around those foundations..

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like to do quite a bit of jugfishing in the summer in the current of the Arkansas River, and my jugs get really spread out over a big area. And while I do catch blues pretty much all over, most of them seem to be over some kind of structure, even channel edges, or deep areas in the channels. It's not unusual to catch most of my fish on the jug's top hook, which is only 6' below the surface, even in water that's 20'-25' deep.

14. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks guys! I get in a rut of fishing the bottom all the time (and I don't catch many blues in this northern edge of their habitat). I have read that a lot of big wels cats are caught near the top too! When I visited the Texas Freshwater Aquarium to see "Splash", the 121 lb blue, he was swimming all the time. Kind of reminded me of a shark with his rythem and movement. I am a rod&reel guy on the Mississippi mostly and the current around wing dams is really strong and often counter the the expected direction. What do you think of large floats with shad under them at 6 to 8'? Also, the Missi is fairly silty, so the bottom is fairly smooth in most places (little structure). The channel is about 20 - 25' around here. Hannibal Mike

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of my favorite spots is along the edge of a dropoff or channel where there is also a 'current break', where there is swift water next to either slack water or, best of all, an actual counter-current flowing in an upstream direction. Another is where there is a current or eddy current flowing directly into a pocket, say on a rocky bluff. I've found a spot like that on the Arkansas, but haven't had a chance to fish it with rod & reel yet. Marked some very nice fish there, though. Another is where a current coming straight downstream slams into a rock dike that's built at a 45 degree angle downstream so that the dike redirects the current to the other side of the river. During normal water levels, the rock dike extends on out a ways underwater, and creates a situation where there is very swift water along one side of the underwater dike, and slack water on the other side. Blues seem to like spots like this so they can rest in the slack water, then move just a little into the swift water to grab a bite, then move back to the slack water to rest some more.

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was working in Maryland this week. I went to the Bass Pro store in Baltimore and stopped to look at their aquarium. Big old Monster Blue cat was tucked away beneath a sunken boat. laying up in there daring a baitfish to swim by. They feed the fish on Sundays. That I would love to see.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have noticed that blues at times travel the same structures as bass. Bass fisherman are always hooking up with trophy blues on spinnerbaits, swimbaits and jigs at a few local lakes my way. These structure areas were rocks, dropoffs, cliffs and underwater stumps. So you can find blues in the same areas as bass, especially when baitfish is abundant.

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Here on the upper end of the Lake of the Ozarks we don't have as much defined structure as in say the James river in Virginia or even Truman Lake. The Blues relate to the movement of the shad but with one exception. The largest fish will ALWAYS be in a place where they don't have to work as hard as the smaller more aggressive fish. I have caught large Blues in three feet of water on a mud flat that is a hundred yards away from any depth change or structure and I have caught them on channel edges and humps. Both situations are productive. I have always believed that some of the larger Blues take up residence where they can stuff theirselves with as little effort as possible. I also find larger bait an important factor though I have caught big fish on small baits the big bait big fish holds true for the most part. I have fished Truman lake with some success but have not really got on a pattern for the big fish the lake contains. It is a structure fishermans paradise. So much structure and baitfish that its hard to isolate big fish locations. One thing I have found where there are Hybrids there are Blues. Hmm....common denominator.......BAITFISH.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I agree with the others, structure is a good thing. While I do believe the Blues like to swim in packs, and I agree whole heartedly that they are open water swimmers, I think you will find more often than not that these fish are relating to some type of cover. Dont limit your thinking of the word cover, by invisioning an object in the water. I look at cover to mean ANYTHING that holds fish. This could very well be an object in the water. However, I've found Blues relate much more to Ledges on Channels, funnels into creek channels, old creek channels etc. I've also come to realize in the past couple of years, blues relate nicely to current edges. Here on the Mississippi, we have some really fast water, which channelizes itself in and around the multitude of wing dykes. I've found the Blues really relate to these current edges. You can see with your naked eye these current edges, as eddys are formed where the currents meet. I've found the Blues will stack up on the slack side of these current eddy's and ambush shad. My absolute favorite type of cover is merely a hump in open water. I've found that the fast water around wing dykes will gradually deposit sand and silt off of the wing dyke tips, sometimes as far as 100 yards downstream. These humps often rise 20 feet off of the bottom in 40 feet of water. Shad concentrations in these areas is considerable, and the Blues are right there with them. My 60 pound Blue in my Avatar came off of one of these Humps. My biggest Blue, 90, came off a current eddy off of a wing dyke. As for your lake set up, I dont have alot of experience with that type of fishing. Sounds to me like you have an ideal setup. Fish can and do relate to foundations for cover. Especially if these areas are near a channel or current break. As well, over time, fish will hole up underneath these foundations. I would suspect that there are some pretty dandy flatheads under those slabs. With a set up like you have, I believe I would setup UP current from these slabs, and start a chumslick and try some different baits until I found what the fish wanted. Best of Luck fishing. :cool:

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Mike. Great questions. I fish a float alot, and have had some pretty good success with them, especially when the fish are suspended and actively feeding. I fish the Miss south of you, and we have some rippin currents also. I purchased some really big floats from Maine-Wolf Products, (listed on this site over to the right). These are high quality floats and allow you to use heavy weights so that your bait stays in the zone you want it in. I use 3ou of weight in moderate current, and my float is still sitting high in the water. You can tie a simple bobber stop knot on your line at the depth you want the bait. I highly recommend this product. Its the best ive found. As well, I bought the high visibility yellow, and I can easily keep an eye on it both day and night. I think I bought 3 of them for 12 bucks or something. I'm not a spokesman for this company, but when someone has a product that performs, I like to spread the good news. Good Luck with the Blues.:cool: