Fishing Spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by r_bray89, Jan 15, 2006.

1. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    What are your favorite fishing spots?

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Olathe Lake , Gardner Lake , Wyandotte County Lake , Osage State Fishing Lake , Leavenworth State Fishing Lake, Waterworks Park Lake, Kansas River , and many others. :)

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I like the Maris Des River, Ly Cygnes Lake, and area lakes and rivers.

chris

4. Chris what kind of fishing do you prefer on the Maris Des Cygnes? It is one of the rivers that has spoonbills but don't know much more than that????

5. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am not for sure about spoonbills, but I have caught a ton of channel, a few flats and a blue or two out of the MDR. I like to fish it because your out there alone or with a freind and its nice and piece full. I have seen and caught some big fish out of the river, There are some huge gar also swimming around in the river.

chris

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chris , whereabouts do you fish the MDR? I fish it in and around Ottawa , and sometimes Osawatomie. Do you know where any easy to access deep holes are at around Ottawa? I only know of 2. Thanks. :)

7. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have various spot along the Kansas And Missouri River. Also Perry, Clinton, and Hilldale. Mill creek is a good one when you find the deep holes. The MDR is a producer, beyond belief.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

have spent most of my life on the kansas and wakarusea river near lawrence i really dont fish any where else

9. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I fish the MDR outside of Poala near columbia road, the county took out a bridge and I fish underneath the bridge, there seems to be a deep hole along that stretch, there are some other places that I have found but trying to find the land owners is going to take some time down at the courthouse to find. I would love to fish the Wakruasa river out near Lawrence, I have heard of some people pulling some nice cats out of that river also.

chris

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

chris alot of real monstor flatheads come from that area around here its not uncommon to see some pulling in a a 90 + lb flathead on a daliy basis, when the kaw raises the move in to the wakarusea

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Anywhere within casting distance of my boat, sorry:eek:

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The wakrausa reminds me of the Maris Des Cygnes river, just by its size and the size of the fish that get pulled out of the river, Do you fish from a boat or do you bank fish on the river, are there any places to bank fish off of the Wakrausa? Somewhere you could sit out all night and not be brothered?

thanks
    chris

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

theres a few spots down there chris, most o f them you have to walk pretty far but it worth it

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I dont mind the walk at all, I keep the majority of my fishing gear in my alice pack, so I just throw it over my shoulder and carry my rods. Are these spots hard to find and are they on private property?

chris

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

chris. they are not hard to find at all just follow the wakarusea on down towards where it meet up with the kaw. the land is inbetween the river and the railroad tracks so i think it really is army corp. land so you can be there(on down from boat ramp)but there are other spots on the wakaruesa way on up you can get to also.just alot of walking.but fun i think

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'll fish just about any lake or river with a boat ramp. My favorite spots are the KS/Mo Rivers, MDC river, la cygnes, coffee county lake, Milford, Melvern.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

reputation comments..... hey ya'll know what these are?? i have a bunch but cant read them all and am not sure why i have them looks like messages from people i think

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Here in Wichita I have lots of city lakes. We fish many evenings in the summer and never have to drive more than 10 minutes. I have found a new spot. Harvey County West lake. The river is on the east side with the lake on the east. Great fishing and well patroled. No gas motors are allowed and there is a quiet time from 10pm to 8 am. I never worry about taking my family. Last year they had a 64 lb flathead taken from the river and lots of large channels taken from the lake

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I have several place I like to go including Most of Linn County Ponds lakes and such. give me a shout anytime and with a little notice There is a good chance I can get out to go fishing.

20. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm a big fan of lake shawnee in topeka. I't only a few miles from my house and it's over run with channels. You about have to have a boat to get to em' so that kind of keeps the fishing presure down a bit. Lot's of 3 to 5 lb fish. The biggest I caught last year was 13 1/2 lbs. Fished there about 3 times a week all thru the summer and averaged 15 to 20 fish each time out. 70% were in the 2 to 4 lb range 25% were anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs and the others were fish anybody would have been proud of.