Fishing spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 22, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im gonna make this short and half way sweet. i have been fishin awhile now for flats at night... this isn't the first yr. i have seen added pressure. it has been increasing and increasing! thats our sport! if it wasn't getting this popular we wouldn't be spending our time on here. However, i fish for big fish and don't enjoy giving spots up...But, i don't go to the extent of getting shi^^y either when i see someone there. i only ask u find it yourself! i don't tell anyone where i catch fish, and if i do, consider me a bullsitter ..lol i feel if its public water then fish...rivers, lakes etc. i was raised the way most are...find good area...keep it to yourself, respect it, let your fish swim, don't get seen there, or u will deal with others. thats why i lie, drink, don't smoke..lol..alot of what i have read on here lately i can blame principle on the one that shown, told or trusted.. i don't know the whole story and really don't care to...but, how i feel about it is, if im as serious as i am about catching big fish i show no one anything about these spots. i fish with one guy mostly when targeting these creatures....and will continue to do so. we have built that trust together..if you really don't know them that well, fish with them, but never show the pot of gold!!!! i have even went to the extent of not showing up till after dark, pulling anchor and moving when hearing another boat...and dressing in camo...most of the time so if i needed to hide while on the bank...im not doing this out of as$holism or etc. i have dealt with the added pressure and people fishing my area, i don't like it, but, won't go as far to claim area or spots i fish...after all...i found them for a reason...someone else is gonna do the same...thats why i respect those who put their time in the same as me and we always seem to run into each other...thats what makes a good fisherman!!! rollo

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Are you a part time gourmet chef? You seem to do a darn fine job of stirring that pot!

You don't know this, but with you wandering around the bank in the dark and in camo, it helps with the recent alleged sightings of Bigfoot in the area. :wink:

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    This is only my second year on this quest but I can say that there is a heck of alot more people fishing a certain stretch of the Muskingum compared to last year. Last year by 3 a.m. I would be the only boat out there. That certainly is'nt the case now. It has made be a better catfisherman because it has forced me to look for different spots. This year I have caught fish in four different spots, none of which are the spots I fished last year. I have listed to some of you and your advice on choosing spots on busy water and it has paid off. My numbers and sizes are way up from last year.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats what it is all about, doing your homework, looking for overlooked area that may even be in a heavily fished stretch, now all you need phil is some good camo.lo..and be aware of others seeing you boat fish in these spots if all possible ,and a tight-lip on your locations and you will have spots that will produce for you for yrs. to come.. goodluck and glad to hear about the success..rollo

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Cats gone wild, you hit the nail on the head. I myself have on many occasion continue to go to the same spots sometimes without any luck. Success in new area always feels good and does make you a better fisherman. Often we think only {our} main hot spot will produce. Nothing wrong with always fishing your hot spot, but it's nice to prove to yourself you can do it anywhere - man thats fishin!

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i know it dont sound rite but i have even put up posted signs on public land to help keep people out.dont work on most but seems to work on the stupids.

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i spend about half my time scouting and half my time fishing, i havent fished the same spot twice this year,, been trying new spots every trip and i havent been dissapointed yet, except back in the spawn, i beileve people who work the hardest do the best, i also think that appplies to big flatheads.. ive had several golden moments this year pushing a gear packed heavy canoe up some crazy rapids, and long shallow riffles and thinking what am i doing this is retarted, but seeing my best friend catch his personal best flat made me think wow, all of that stress and trouble was worth it!! i think half the fun of flatheads is being in a spot with only your best fishing buddy, its just not the same by yourself.. gotta have someone to share that experience with, someone to talk about that monster that pulled the hook just feet from the shore or boat, and also someone to get the net lol

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a creek in the Guthrie area that floods every now and then. About 10 years ago the farmers would let you fish the creek from their land. I'd go two or three times a week, catch flats every time I went, and never, never caught one under 5 lbs. I took a suppossed friend to my honey hole, and the very next night he had that whole creek strung with trotlines and limblines for about a half a mile above my hole and below it... talk about angry. But I guess things worked out all right in the long run...the farmers posted their land. I don't even know of one place you can get down to the creek to fish now.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats funny! i wonder if it would work at local boat ramps? :smile2:

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One night I was bank fishing a lake last year in Ohio and nature called, so I stepped back into the woods, found a appropiate spot to take a crap. Well, during the process, heard a stick break off to the side of me about 30 yards, then I happen to notice a silohette outline which appeared to be a well camoflaged creature standing straight up beside a tree in the distance staring at the lake. My first thought was bigfoot, but then realized that it was wearing hunting clothes. Rollo, was that you? lol

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know the old sayin...sh!t floats, and yours don't stink lol i can't remember seeing anything in the lake nor smellin anything...so must not of been me lol...:smile2::wink:

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I can't believe people are on here fighting about....of all things....spots! Nobody to blame but yourself if your hole gets overrun due to jaw jacking in my opinion.....always sucks taking the blame yourself but whatever.

I was shown a hole on hoover and the guy told me not to tell anyone so I haven't. I have only taken people on my boat who I trust...and because of that I don't even have to tell them not to talk.

The funniest post on this thread is the one about the guy setting trot and limb lines up and down the creek. hahahahaha...... Seems like you got a relatively painless lesson in choosing who to trust!

Bottom line is fish with true friends, people you can trust, go out and play commando if you have to.....but when you fish with idiots, dishonest people, cheats....etc. and surround yourself with them then guess what....POOP HAPPENS!!!!! Fishing was the gateway to a lot of my lifelessons courtesy of my grandpa and our adventures/talks along the way. Glad to see some other people learning lol..

ben

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    just figured I would throw this out there:

DON"T TELL ANYONE WHERE YOU GET YOUR CATALPA WORMS THIS SEASON hahahahhaha!

I would hate to see the Ohio section shrink over caterpillar holes.....

we should all just get on dillon or another big moderately quiet body of water and fish one weekend and camp out or something....sort of the fisherman's kiss and make up if you will.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio

I'm game for a little get together as well!

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    why don't we have another mini-gathering..maybe make it just for a day even.. actually sounds like an idea to me? seriously...since we all fight about catfishing these days lol. maybe we could have a carp fish off for fun..and other games and food for fun? i claim the spillway as my spot lol...rollo

16. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah we should do this i want to meet ram rod anyway we were supposed to fish last year and never got to it....always down to wet some lines with tony he is great.

ben

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Along these same lines, a lot of you have noticed the GMR postings are way down, with the 10 fold increase of pressure lately, many of the posters on here and other boards have ceased posting about good catches since they are getting much harder to produce. We all have learned the hard way about trusting folks we "thought" were good folks that would respect our spots. :eek:oooh:
    Nothing worse then a good post and half a dozen PM's asking about where to catch fish like that, I used to send fols to the well known holes but that only pushed out more folks to search for less crowded waters, its a double edged sword.

BTW, there are no flatheads in the GMR bigger then 8 lbs, and for me, thats the truth!!!:wink:

Salmonid

18. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    In my opinion the internet has made for alot of used to be good fishing holes. Most of the time I don't think it is the members of the sites that you have to worry about. It is the lurkers that don't sign up for the sites. They just sit back and let people that have put in alot of hard work finding good productive spots lead them right to them. If you are gonna work hard to find the fish when you do catch them don't go announcing to the whole world where they are. These are not private forums by no means. Yes it does feel good to help put someone on a good fish. Sure it is great to be able to share your knowledge on catching these elusive trophies. But at what cost. You end up losing good holes that you have put alot of hours into finding just so someone that hasn't taken the time and done their homework to have. It is great to brag when you do get a big one but keep it secret as to where you caught. Just give the body of water not the exact location if you want to tell. I have no problem with someone fishing in a good spot if they have put in the same amount of work that we have and found it theirselves. Lets quit telling everyone where to go catch the big ones and keep those spots for those that have worked to find them.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ahhh RamRods just a blow hard always talking :smile2:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a nice post...maybe one of the better ones i have read and its the truth. argue if u must, but the ones that are out and fish hard understand this! i have no problem helping people, and have prob. drawn some to my home town spots since joining here..i have seen this myself . i don't do the majority of my fishing here anymore. for a matter of fact, i was pushed from fishing alot of theses spots a few yrs. back. long befor joining this site! and it is only getting worse...there is still fish in the area i live, but i would rather fish around them and try to be elusive if i can. big fish are becoming farther and farther apart due to this.. lots of fishermen and trotliners!.. lurkers, they are here now.. all i can say is what i said earlier...some of you may laugh at my post and make fun of me...i really don't care! watch, listen, and beware of people seeing you. grab anchor and move, hide, do whatever you can to protect the spots you have, esp. if you are a local that is known to catch nice fish!!!! i guarentee someone will tell me later they should have listened!you would be amazed of the people that will take advantage of your hard work and knowledge..don't believe me find out for yourself..rollo