fishing spots near detroit

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by catman313, May 12, 2006.

1. catman313

catman313 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    anybody know of some good places bout 30miles around the detroit area ?? ffishing from shore....

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

There are plenty of places to fish, but the public access is very limited and there is a lot of pressure on the catfish. If I had my choice I would stick to Belleville Lake, but you can catch catfish at:

Point Moulee(sp?) - This is an extension of Lake Erie. You can fish there 24/7, but the mosquitoes will carry you away after sunset, so take plenty of bug juice. I have never caught a cat there, but I know they are present.

Anywhere along the Huron River, especially in the Flat Rock area leading to I-75 and into Lake Erie

You can fish any of the Metro Parks with limited success. Sterling State Park in Monroe is supposedly a good place to catch cats, but you got to pay $5 every time you want to fish unless you get the yearly sticker for $20. I haven't purchased mine this year as I don't foresee myself fishing there this year.

Raisin River - This is a river that is known for channel cats if you can find a spot that isn't congested. It is also out of Monroe and other places in between Dundee and Monroe. I have fished it from shore off I-75 at this marina. I've fished there once and had some runs, and saw one big channel belly up there. This area has enough room for a few people. There is a bait shop there where you can get nightcrawlers and snacks. I can't remember the name of the street, but I do know the exit when I see it. There is also a warm water discharge down the road where they have constructed piers (about 10 I think) that people catch cats about 15 to 20 feet from the surface. Good luck if you ever hook a big one...

Newburgh Lake - Go to Belleville before you go to NewBurgh. It's the Rouge river system, and numbers there are slim. There are cats there, but the park closes at 10 P.M. and it's not really worth the time in my opinion. It is a good place to get bait in the summer though...

When it's all said and done you basically have the Raisin, Huron, and portions of Lake Erie to fish. Someone else will have to chime in regarding the holes in Oakland County, Detroit River, and St Clair waterways.

3. catman313

catman313 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thnx alot dreamcatcher i fish down at brownstown where the huron starts catch about 1 everytime exept for today and yesterday cuse the current was way too storng... ill prolly check out bellville in a few days or somthin is there some big cats there and wat would be the best bait down there to use..

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

So you are very close to Point Mouillee then...it's off of Jefferson Highway. It might save you some gas if the bite is on there, and you are also close to the Raisin. I am told the cats are in there thick, as they come into the shallows of Mouillee to feed at night. Like I said, the mosquitoes are bad, but you can take care of that. Have you ever heard any of the local guys talking about fishing the banana dikes? Ask around, somebody in Brownstown knows.. that place is pronounced "Moo lay"...I believe it's spelled with "ette" at the end.

If you decide to come to Belleville there are some sizable cats that are in there. I have spoken to folks who have caught 15 and 26 pound fish out of there. I spoke to a few guys that report larger fish have been landed or seen...It also has tiger muskie in it as well...

Cut shad, leeches, shrimp, live fish, are my choices....

5. catman313

catman313 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i live in lincoln park its like 20 min away . on jefferson the road was closed for a while so u couldnt get back to the dikes i never realy went there anyway but ima ask around..