Fishing Spots Around Mulberry, Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Gordhawk, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering if someone could tell me if there are any lakes or rivers around the Mulberry area. My wife has a brother living in Mulberry and we're trying to find out if there is any place to put a boat in & fish in the area. Her brother hasn't lived in the area that long so he doesn't know much about it. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. catstalker32

catstalker32 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have not fished the area, but Lake Freeman and Wabash River are two locations that are just north of mulberry. Wabash River has great cat fishing that I have heard. I am sure someone fishes Lake Freeman that can help ya!!!!! Good luck and good fishing

3. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    there is a boat launch in west lafayette, but i can not remember the directions to iit

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks alot for the responses guys. Do you know what species of fish are in Lake Freeman? Also is the Wabash River pretty good size? I got my atlas out tonight & noticed there is also a Lake Shafer up north of Lake Freeman. Can you give me any idea acreage wise how big each of these lakes are. Also I was wondering if there would be some cabins to rent in the Wabash River area north of Mulberry. I would appreciate any & all information you could provide me with. I think our tentative plan is to be in that area the weekend of July 15th. Thank you again & keep the info coming.

5. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lake Shafer is about 1300 acres. There is about any kind of fish that you would want to catch. It is a fun lake because you never really know what you are going to catch in any one place.
    Lake Freeman is about 1600 acres. Like Shafer, you never know what you will catch. Theres nice bass, cats, crappies, walleyes, wipers....... Both are great to fish. I think there are cabins you can rent up around Lake Shafer by Indiana Beach. When I go to either lake for tounys, we always stay at the outdoorsman. It is a little hotel that is right on Lake Freeman. They even have thier own boat docks along with a great restaurant. The hotel is on US 421. Just on the east side of the river and on the North side of the road is the hotel. There is plenty of room to park your boat and they have outside outlets to charge your batteries. I hope this helps...

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

The wabash isn't a huge river like how the ohio is. In places towards the head of the river you can cast across it. Around lafeyette it widen's out alot. In places it's a very shallow rocky river. It has some nice holes that hold some dandy fish.
    Shafer and freeman are great lakes but they have more boat traffic than I can handle. I fished the river section that conects these two lakes about a month ago and had good luck on both channels and flatheads.
    Might be to far but I think there is a public acsess site on the wabash in Attica, west of mullberry about 30/40 miles on SR28. Never fished there but you might wanna check it out.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    There are 2 public ponds in Frankfort off of 28. Trolling motor only row boat size boats.. They are free. There is a DNR pond off of 28 between Frankfort and Lafayette again trolling motors only. To get to the ramp in west Lafayette take 43 north out of West Lafayette for about 1/2 mile. You will pass a large apartment complex and the ramp will be on your right. It has a paved parkiing lot.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to thank all of you fine brothers for your input on the inquiry I made about fishing around Mulberry. I'm sure the chamber of commerce in Mulberry would not have been as helpful. Our biggest problem we're having now is finding lodging close to Mulberry that allows pets. We have a 7 mo. old Jack Russell Terrier that we want to bring along. That's why we thought maybe there were some cabins we could rent in the area that took pets. Anyway, thanks again to all of you fine brothers.