Fishing spot - where would the flathead catfish be?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm attaching a diagram and a couple photos of a spot I fished a few times in Oct. before the cold weather hit. I caught a few smaller Flatties and Channel Cats but I'm trying to figure where the best place to anchor to fish all night for the big Flatties would be. This a lock & dam on a local river. The pool between the downstream lock & dam and this one is about 7 miles long and dredged out the whole length and averages between 30 & 40 ft deep in many places. The water depth by this dam is quite shallow near the lock only about 5ft but gets to around 50ft on the other side where there is a hydro plant. There is a sideways undertow here. The hydro plant draws water in and discharges it below the intake. The buoys are about 50 yards from the dam so it's possible to cast right up in there if you want. Would the Flatties that inhabit this spot stay here all the time or would they travel shallow at night? If they do move out of the deeper water would they head to the 5 ft water by the lock or would they move downstream to feed? Should I just anchor and fish the 50 ft. water all night? I really think there could be some big un's here, I just have to come up with the proper plan of attack. I want to know what you guy's think?

Attached Files:

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Man, they gotta be in there! Nice location. Use a depthfinder and try to locate any sort of bottom structure or change, rock, hole, bump, logjam, rubble, etc, in any of the water available. There may also be some wing dams you can't see, fish above and below these as well. Be careful, as wingdams can be only a few inches under the surface and really mess up a lower unit.

Without ever seeing this place, and if I didn't have a depth finder, I would fish the area just below the hydro (lower left of your diagram) at first, keep a log of conditions (river flow, temp, clarity, bait, time & date). Find the local baitfish, usually shad, skips, chubs, carp, bluegill, shiners... Start with a variety of live and cutbait presentations.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its hard to tell unless you were to make a more detailed map, but i would fish near the deep water around structure during the day and at night along the banks near eddys and slack water. if the water is slack enough try using a float anywhere from 4 to 12ft deep depending on how deep the water is along the rip-rap at night. try to position your boat so your floats drag behind the boat in the current. they have eyes on top of their head for a reason, they tend to be looking up at night when they feed, a lot like crappie do. the past few years i have learned to my amazement how shallow flats feed at night.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    from what other members on the board have said about Flatties they seem to be less apt to want to sit in fast water waiting for a meal... if you can find an eddy area with some sort of cover thats next to a shallower possiblly slightly faster moving area the flats should be in and around that cover...

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Scott,

Where is that at? Sure ain't emsworth. I don't think it the one in sharpsburgh. So where is it.LOL.

Scott we will have to hook up sometime this summer or in the spring! Whatcha think of that idea?!?!?!

Josh

P.S.: That spot looks great in the picture!!

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I would try any back up flow in the surface current behind the corner of the hydro plant or the lock or any boils close to these slack areas.

7. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Scott,

Ok, I 'm with Josh on this one...I'm stumped. Where are those pictures from?

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jason,

Glad to see you found your way over here!!

---------

I think I might know which one that is! Is that the one after the dam in sharpsburgh! The one with that tackle shop next to it??

If not I'm stumped :0a28::0a28::0a28::0a28:

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hi Josh, Sure I'd be happy to go fishin' with ya this year.
    the_nis, perhaps you, Josh and I can all hook up for some cattin this year.
    Okay, the spot is the Allegheny River - Lock & Dam #7 at Templeton. I keep my pontoon docked on this pool. It's about a six mile ride upstream from the marina I'm at, which takes about 25 mins to get there. I was fishing a couple other spots most of the year but I plan on puttin' a good bit of time
    up at the dam in 2006. There's a awful lot of deep water in the entire pool so I'm trying to narrow things down to the most likely spots. I wanted to get some feedback from the guys on here to see where they would fish.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Josh and the_nis - hey guys, I had a brain fart on that last post, it is lock & dam #8 at Templeton. It is pool #7, I get the #'s confused sometime.

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah fish the deep water during the day and at night switch to shallower water and use creek chubs or shad. both live of course and if that dam has a stright up and down structure, some sort of wall cats about a 12 in shad right next to it and wait.. shouldnt be long till you find wat you are looking for. i fish many dams in indiana and this tends to be te best tactic aroung here. wish you all the best and the first one you land we all want to see pics

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Scott,

I've never fished there before but i bet there is a bunch of nice fish there. Me, you and Josh should definitely hook up sometime and do some fishin'!

Jason

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason, The marina I keep the boat docked at opens up at the beginning of May, so when we get to that time of the year I will contact you and Josh and we can make a plan. Three can fish nicely from my boat. I got several other good spots besides the area at the dam to fish. I'm already chompin' at the bit to go. I'm keeping busy ice fishin', cleaning and lubing the reels, makin' sinkers, etc... anything to get me through till spring!

14. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Scott,

Sounds good! Since I can't drive until this knee heals, I've been taking care of all my fishing needs that I usually take of in the spring. I'm going nuts I'm so bored!!!

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    What's the water temperatures there in Pa this time of year? I know here in Kansas the flathead will go dormant when it starts getting real cold. Our flatties stop biting very much at all after late november or december rolls around. They might poke out occasionally on a really warm day in the winter...but it's usually takes sustained water temps of 45 degrees or better to get ours feeding again.

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Catcaller I will got out on a limb and say 40! I don't have an exact number though. Its been relatively warm here as of late

Yeah it would definately be fun to hook up some time and do some fishing. Because I'm I don't catch that many myself.

Scott,

Do you have a graph? Have you ever tried fishing the drop offs with some shad maybe???

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Josh, I have a hummingbird depth finder on the boat. I've fished dropoffs in a couple places. I'm still learning the water by the dam that's why I created this thread to see where the B.O.C. guys would fish. I only fished up at the dam twice back in Oct. I plan on putting some time in up there this year.

Catcaller - I'm guessin' the water temp. on the local rivers is 33 degrees cause they were largely iced over till recently we got a bit warmer temps.

18. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey Scott,

How much weight were you using to keep your bait still at that spot? Just curious...

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - I was using 6 to 8 inch Bluegill for bait and 2 oz. egg sinkers was holding pretty well. The River was on the low side, so if the water was up I would probably have to use more weight. Fact of the matter is if the river is running high I wouldn't be able to fish here, the current would make it too tough for my anchors to hold.

20. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Scott-Do you ever catch your own shad? Me and my buddies just started catching them late summer/early fall. Just curious if you've had any luck with them...