Fishing spillways, do you do it?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jun 8, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a few spillways close to me but I hate to fish them..One of them gives up some very fine catfish, but I always get in a bad mood when I fish one...Mainly because all the people, I dont like crowds and they are packed, the people loud, and I hate to see baskets full of 8 inch catfish being removed..Whats your thoughts on these palces?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't mind fishing them, but like you said, I don't like the crowds. Kinda reminds me of a Mellon pay pond!:eek:oooh:

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I used to fish the spillway on Lake Lewisville every friday saturday and sunday. It had been closed for sometime and not many people knew that it was open again for fishing, for a long time it would be just me and a couple other regulars in the morning we all got along and helped each other out when someone got a fish to big to pull up the wall. Well some people started comeing down there useing cast nets and takeing everything they caught in them. I seen 2 guys carryin a bag full of fish they showed me what they had nothing but 6 inch fish couple keepers and couple decent buffalos. Pissed me off that they where takeing so I headed up to the front gate and had a talk with the people that run everything. Met the game warden week after that and talked to him about it told him what they drove, well just so happens those guys got taken to jail from what he said. Another time I was down there in my honey hole in the main gate I was useing chum that I had in a bucket tied to a rope. I was wearing the channel cats out. had a couple guys over to my left they had to have 15 poles out. They hadn't caught a thing I told them if they would just get there bait up off the bottom useing a bobber like I was doing they would have some luck. Well one guy offered to buy all my fish from me which I wanted no part in. He got a little hot over it and started casting all his lines across mine so he could get to where my chum bucket was. Right we tangled couple times, I just got tired of it wasnt going to make a big deal about it so loaded up and left. This has happend to me more than just that one time I uselly dont even fish up by the main gates anymore. Isnt worth dealing with all the people IMO

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yup Jack, I fish em. Not with much luck, but I fish em.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish them and usually get a nice variety of fish. I never fish them on weekends though, that's when all the people are there. I always go early morning on weekdays and usually it's just me and 1 or 2 other guys and they follow all the codes and rules of fishing etiquette so there's never any run ins.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I run into similar problems fishing the tailraces here, but usually where I am it's me and the other regulars. Every once in a great while someone will try and pry theirselves in. Those are the worst times, but luckily it doesn't happen often. Most of the regulars are easy to get along with and can fish together well. In a 30' space we try to keep it down to no more than 6 or 7 people (or less depending on what kind of fishing all of them are doing).

Surprisingly there have even been a couple of times during the weekend where I am alone.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of one that we have went to way too many times. :roll_eyes:

If you want to just casually fish for catfish, fine fish the spillways Jack, but if you want to be the OLD FLATHUNTER that people used to know..... STOP FISHING THOSE PLACES! :eek:oooh: :tounge_out:

If your not out of breathe, sore when you get to your fishing spot (unless you have a boat), or putting your life on the line due to a cliff, rock lege, or extremely steep incline then chances are you shouldnt fish it! :)

8. kevinrodgers

kevinrodgers New Member

State:
    texas
    Ive been fishing the lewisville lake spillway for about a year now and had ran into some of the same problems mentioned by other anglers here about 7 months ago.Soon there after the game warden had started coming around and checking for licenses.The very next weekend I was down there and the number of anglers had decline 80%.I didnt have a single problem with people casting over my lines and witnessing the over harvest of fish.And Im glad to say its been alot better ever since.I actually plan to fish there tomorow morning.So dont let a few bad "people"ruin a good fishing hole.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    no to many gars for me

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I occasionally do,But I am like most of you,I aint a croud person,My temper is short and for my ,as well as others well being its better that way.I try to fish open spots and usually leave if strangers come around.

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good thang 'toon u mite scare the gars:smile2::smile2: