Fishing southern Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Big Russ, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Doesn`t anyone fish in southern missouri? I keep reading about Truman lake and Missouri river and such, but not much down south.
    Is the fishing better farther north? I`m getting worried about moving to the springfield area.Dont want to have to drive 2 hours to do some good fishing.Maybe its just not catfish weather yet.
    Any opinions?
    Russ

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Russ it's not as bad as you think, Stocton and Pomme are 30 to 45 min. from Springfield and Tablerock is around an hour, I personaly would rather fish Truman than the rest. You'll be fine but I will be suprised if you too don't choose to drive the hour and 15 min. to go to Truman.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There are plenty of good catfishing spots in southern MO. It's just that, with Truman, the Missouri & the Mississippi, good isn't enough to keep up. Those places are world class and draw the majority of catfolk. Shoot, from what I have heard about catfishing in California, we got mud puddles that hold more catfish than your used to. LOL

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The lakes in southern Missouri may have a few catfish in them - flathead and channels mostly - but they're not known for their catfishing.

You can be on Truman Lake in about 90 minutes from Springfield and it's absolutely worth the drive.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    When you talk south missouri your more into smallmouth trout and other clear water small stream fish.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    From us Boys on the Missouri River Truman lake is down South :lol:

7. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    i go to pommi all the time and have real good luck but if u want trophy fish truman is the way to go but i'l be out on pomm next week end if u want to meet up

8. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, Thats why I`m movin to Missouri:lol:

9. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Brent, That would be great but I wont be in Missouri until july
    Russ

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Russ I have to tell you that I moved to Springfield from KC 6 years ago because there is no other place in the US that has as many beautiful lakes within 1 1/2 hours at the longest point.
    Any fish you want to chase, it's here in southwest mo. As far as the best catfish in the area everyone goes to Truman and that's OK cuz that leaves the river arms of Tablerock almost alone, same with Stockton and especially Pomme which I spend most of my time cuz I have no traffic there as you will have with the rest of the lakes and the traffic is still nothing compared with large lakes in the rest of the country!!
    The fishing here is just plain wonderful, catfish, walleye, bass, muskie, and they are toads. WELCOME to God's Country!!!

11. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now thats what I like to hear.:0a31:

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I lived four years in the ozarks (high school age) and fished often in the Gasconade river...I was about an hour east of Springfield. There are plenty of spots on the Gasconade that contain channel and flathead cats. Never saw a blue cat, though. That may have been because I was more focused on bass fishing at the time.

Since moving back to KC (even with the Missouri River a few minutes away) I miss the Gasconade river.