Fishing South bay wend. 4-10

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by splitshot, Apr 10, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ill be going up to South bay tomorrow afternoon, There is another cold front coming through late wend. night calling for more snow. I plan on staying as late as i can stand the cold. Hopeing i get the chance to try out my new digital scale. If anyone can come up ill have a fire going.

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Going out tomorrow on the Seneca River near Baldwinsville. Picked up some Bowker's Original and Shad Added. One pole with stinkbait/loopers, and the other with cut bait. The weather is gonna be beautiful.... my buddy says he's seen some wild pigs back up in there. No regs on those yet, so, maybe I'll bring ol'bessy with me and have a little New York Surf & Turf. (plan B is hit Vanburen Pond for Rainbow trout if nothing pans out up in the river) If you MSN Map Baldwinsvilee NY and locate Marble Street ther's two islands in the middle of the river, one stretches out to a long thin point(a road dirt road allows accessthe whole way down), strong current on one side, slackwater on the other....spot shows great promise.

Richard

3. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Going to southbay Sat april 28 to start my season. Hope to get some good ones I will let you know how I did. Then May 3I am heading to VA to fish the James River.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ill be going to South bay 4-21, my first trip out i got skunked!!:lol:

5. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I checked out the water level Sat. at the boat launch the water is really high. I will have to take my small boat this weekend. The fish sould bite, I hope. Got to get a cat.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Fished the bay Sunday from two pm till 11:00 pm, used smelt, perch and chicken livers. Caught one 3lb channel, around sunset. The water looks to be three to four ft. above normal, had several small hits but no runs. The only other fish i saw caught was a small northern.

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Went out Saturday and caught two channels about 18" each. One on Bowker's original and one on my special liver concoction. Also caught a 15lb carp, and, about 5 sunfish. The river was raging accept off that point I was talking about. Had a lot of half hearted bites, almost like they were just nudging the bait around. The fish were deffinitely staged up there just not feeding super agressively. I'll tkae the two I got, got to try out my new catfish rig, preformed like a champ.

Richard

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Rich would you care to share your special liver concoction? Im going sucker fishing tomorrow--gotta make up some chum. Checked out the Hudson this morning its still high and roaring!!

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Well so far it has evolved to this:

1 Bottle Thai Fish Sauce
    1 Tube Anchovy Paste
    1/4 Cup Minced Garlic
    1 Bottle Blue Cheese Dressing (or a tub of Crumbly Blue Cheese your choice)
    1 Container Chicken Livers (Blended)

I use the above "sauce" to marinate two additional containers of chicken livers, which I tie (spawn sac/magic thread) in various size offerings. I allow these to sun ripen for a couple days.

I drain off the liquid from the above and make a loose dough bait by the addition of flour and lard, and fish this on looper baits.

splitshot I would venture a guess that you could use the base "sauce" mixxed into some milo grain, or cheap dried cat food for your chum.

Ive also chopped up some bacon spam and added it tied sacs. This is new, on my first batch I experienced many bites, but as I stated earlier they were just picking at it. I truly believe that when the water heats up a little this batch will be a winner.

for about $20 I get two containers of marinated liver and about 2 1/2 penut butter jars full of dough bait which I continue to add other stuff to
    make it irresistable.....putrified night crawlers, old venison burger, discount shrimp,blended shiners,etc.... I bought some needless 60cc irrigattion syringes w/caps (Garage Sale Find) which I fill with each new addition. I number them and keep a detailed list of what is in each. When one consitantly out fishes another I reproduce it in a larger batch. All of them start with the basic ingredients listed above.

If you use this recipe and it works for you pass it along to your buddies and tell them it's your family secret recipe.

Rich

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Rich, you've given me some great ideas to up-grade my chum!!!