Fishing Software

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by brewfish, Feb 20, 2008.

1. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I'm in the process of learning some new programming languages and really need some type of project to sink my teeth into. There's no better way to truly grasp a language than to actually design and build your own application. I've been racking my brain to find something that would really get me fired up and drive my desire to learn these new languages. Being the high-tech redneck that I am I come up with the idea of designing some type of fishing related software. I know there are already commercial packages out there but really like the idea of designing my own to my exact needs & specifications.

I'm curious to know if there are enough folks here interested in something like this for me to justify the amount of time & effort it'll require to bring an idea like this to fruition. I have some very general ideas right now of what I would like to incorporate into the design. I would really like to hear from others with any ideas or thoughts regarding any aspect of said project -from logical work flow, to functionality, to key features it should have.

This isn't something that's going to happen over night because as previously stated there's going to be a learning curve for me and it'll certainly take a little while to get everything mapped out in the design phase.

In the end I envision having a nice free fishing software package being available exclusively to BOC members. I think this could prove to be a valuable tool for anyone really serious about the sport of catfishing (or any type of fishing for that matter) and improving their fishing prowess. I have no visions of grandeur or becoming the marine version of the next Bill Gates. :smile2:

These are just the broad strokes of some of my ideas. I know scores of people have contributed a wide array of things to this community that has made it what is is. I would like for this to be eventually be one of my contributions. I won't blather on with further detail until I can gauge the interest that may or may not exist within this community.

:0a34::0a36::0a31:

Thanks everyone,
    Joe

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you are willing to put the time and effort into it i am defintely willing to use it. if you could incorporate a fishing log, with dates/times/places/conditions then that would be very helpful. as well as current weather conditions and an outlook for the day for your area would help alot too. i know it is asking alot, but i think this would be very helpful to alot of guys on this site.

3. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    This is exactly what i am looking for, keep the ideas comming!

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Heres a good one for everyone who beleives in CPR.
    A girth length weight converter.
    Shouldnt be a hard project but it could be interesting.You could even incorporate it into the project mentioned above.

What new language are you learning?I just downloaded Visual Basic 2008 but havent played around with it much.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good luck with your project

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck! Sounds like it'll be an interesting project.

7. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl

Working on Visual Basic 2005 right now. From what I gather 2008 isn't that much different. Besides I already have some books on 2005 so that's what I'm going with for now.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Interesting idea, I like it:smile2:.

I like the fishing/catch log idea.
    I also think an equipement log / for supplies and maintenance would be good.

In this day and age I think you should think about maiking it a web-based application as opposed to a desk-top app.

I have been designing and managing the design, development, and implementation of large scale programs for about 15 years now.

For the last 5 years I have done nothing but web-based projects.

This could enable possible interfaces with google earth and a lot of cool stuff.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've always thought that a user friendly weather//lunar/water temp/time/location/success log would be pretty useful, especially if averages of particular states or cities were available for viewing on the site. It could be a log that any member could click on to input their information onto the site, or a program that is separate from the site but not restricted from uploading that data onto the website. -Just an idea I've pondered. Best of luck!

10. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be but if you could incorporate a way to see a map or upload a map in to it and a way to mark the spot where you catched the fish or where you did not catch a fish may help to identify the productive areas from the non productive.

Just a tought. Good luck on your project.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yeh, What he said. There are all kinds of stuff that would be useful such as interfaces with water level and weather forecasts, route planners, river maps etc.

Or, for us computer morons it could be a simple as a basic fishing log to record what, where, when, how many, what bait etc.
    Good idea...W

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what would also be nice is if you had a GPS and you could download it to this program and it would save it, with the date/time/location and size of fish caught and then over time you could compile it on a map and show you where you hot spots through-out the year are. that would be really cool.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I built mine in Access 2003, then migrated it to Access 2007. 2007 comes with the developer's extensions and the application packaging components so you can build it and package it with an install wizard so the end user installs it just like any other program. MS has also made the Access runtime environment free with unlimited distribution license, so I packaged my app and the access runtime version together so users that don't have the full version of Access can run the program.

I'm pretty useless at VB but did use it to help me customize forms, reports, and various controls and queries. If you'll PM me an email address that can take about a 4MB attachment I'll send you what I did and you can see how NOT to design one:wink:

Not sure if the link will get stripped or not but you can go to www.tagver.com and get an idea of what it looks like. I know, goofy name but it's a domain name that my brother in law already had:smile2: