Fishing Sinkers - Which fishing sinkers are the best?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by msucatfish, Mar 30, 2009.

1. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    What kind of sinkers do yall like to use the best?
    Stuff is hard to get here if it's not for bass fishing :sad2:, I was thinking of getting a mold and pouring my own, just wanted to know what kind is the best for catfishing?

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    depends on where you're fishing (pond lake or river) but if you're going to pour your own i'd say the bank sinker offers the most versitility.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    for the river i like the no roll or flat bank sinkers but lake its usly a egg sinker for me

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    in ponds/lakes i like to use egg sinkers..

in rivers, its no rolls

i like the bank sinkers too

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer no roll sinkers but if im in a lake that dosent have a current ill use an egg sinker.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Rivers I use banks, flat banks and no rolls.
    Lakes I use banks and flatbanks.
    I have a bunch of other kinds but those are my favorites.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    would go with the no roll for both lake and rivers. They have one that covers1 1/2, 2, 3, oz that should give you fair coverage for slow current rivers and most lakes. If need you could later go with 3,4,5, oz mold. a6, 8,oz mold is also offered.

8. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thanks for the input, but whats a flatblank sinker? is it like a no snag sinker or is it just flat?

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also pour my own weights. I use 2oz egg sinkers because it's a universal weight that I can use Carolina rigged for cats/stripers or for down rod striper fishing.

I have little current so I can get away with this set up. I've been know to beat a egg sinker flat with a hammer to make a no-roll type sinker when needed.

I also pour 1/4 oz egg sinkers to make slinky weights for bottom drift fishing.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish the river and use 5oz or 6oz flat bank sinkers.

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    For me I like to carry a variety of styles and weights you can never have to many and it also depends on the style of fishing you do.

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have molds for all three mentioned....no roll, egg and bank sinkers.
    I use them all, but I feel the main factor is the sinker must be able to slide up and down the line, or actually the line slide thru the sinker. For my bank sinkers, I use a Team Catfish sinker slide. It allows the line to slide freely when using this type sinker.

Speaking of sinkers, I just poured about 40-50 No Roll and Egg sinkers. I had always used motor oil and/or WD40 on the pin, but this time used cooking spray. It only took 1 spray the entire time with each mold. I am sure other BOC members know this trick, but just wanted to pass on this info incase some of you are using other types of oil. The cooking spray worked great.

13. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Most of the time I use no rolls, especially when fishing the channel ledges. I only use bank sinkers when fishing below the dams. And when the currents really smokin' I will sometimes use a bank sinker between two swivels with another one above that on a drop leader. What ever it takes to keep that bait down. I bought a river sinker mold last week, and thought I would try those with the sinker slides.