Fishing Sinkers are expensive

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 5, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just placed a order for sinkers, ordered a variety from 2-0z up to 8-oz.

Spent 90 bucks and that will probably last me 6 months:smile2:

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    lead sinkers are very costly jack rick

3. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I would look into making my own, I pour 1 time a year . 5 gallon bucket of 5 6 s

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    sinkers are expensive for sure i haven't bought a sinker in my life have poured my own ,used old spoons to make sinkers when i was a kid till i made some money mowing grass then bought molds still have them today i bet those molds are at least 35 years old now and i have a few years on the molds man am i gettin old lol

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live in an apartment so I cant pour...I could have gotten a couple molds for what I paied for those sinkers.

I am starting to run low, so I hit the panic button:big_smile:

I cant stand to run low on fishing tackle:big_smile:

I paied 1:25 each for the ones 6-oz and up.

1:00 each fot the 4-5oz

and .75 each for the 2-3oz

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

I just saw an add on EBay from a company that sells 1# Igots. The company is around Lake Erie somewhere. $138 shipped for just over 100#. If you think thats something you want to do next time, let me know. I am sure I could find a couple guys to share the cost with you.

We are going to have a big sinker making gathering soon (next couple months) at Mark's house. There is no sense in paying so much for those sinkers.

I still have prob 50 or so 5 oz sinkers and 30 or so 6 oz. I am more than happy to share them with you. Of coarse no cost of anything like that. If you need them soon, I can mail them to you. Just let me know.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    mellon thanks for the info. rick

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,expensive,the way they like it.

ramrod will be holding a sinker making thingy this winter also,as far as i know.might want to go to it also.

i think i am going to start collecting the wheel weights from our shop and start making my own also,i just have to get motivated........:roll_eyes:

if you want to buy some of those ingots,like mellon was talking,i could throw in a few bucks for them also.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Surely you know someone that has a garage, and would let you pour over there. I have a Lee bottom pouring pot, and several different molds from crappie jigs to 8 oz bank sinker. No way would I pay that much for lead sinkers. I pour mine in the cool months, and use them all summer. Good thing, too. I think I have paved the river bottom with lead. Good luck in your quest.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is why i bought some molds and melting pot. To get away from having to buy at such a high price. At those prices I paid for my molds the first day I poured lead. I have saved my friends some money also. How much is Non resident Fishing license in Ohio.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sucks Jack. There is no way you should have had to buy sinkers. Don't do it next year, let me know next time.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know I dont have to buy them and that I have people who will make them.

But it's so darn easy just to buy them online, but then I realize how much I pay and it's like what a stupid fool I am.:wink:

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lol,they make it too easy to just enter in those numbers,and then the checkout button :smile2:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys here is an idea ya might want to try in your area. If ya fish a lot together or if ya just live near each other . Try swapping equipment, like hooks for sinkers, sinker for line, there is always things that you can't get around buying but sinkers is not one of them. Just a thought.maybe it will help.

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can get a portable gas burner and all the lead pouring equipement. When ya get ready to pour just take all the stuff down to a park or to the lake, in a picnic area, or any where outside that will be away from people and houses.

Once your there set up and pour all the lead you want.

16. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Has anybody ever bought any sinkers on ebay, Ive been looking and comparing prices.

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Yeah , I was gonna say Jack I bought my weights off an E-Bay seller and got a pretty good deal. I got 20lbs of 3 oz weights for 40 dollars. I did have some trouble with the shipping, but he made it all good in the end. So if buying weights off of e-bay I would recommend getting the insurance. Anyway the seller if real flexible and will pour just about anything you ask for. If anyone wants his info just let me know.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont feel so bad now, I paid a $1:25 each for 8-oz sinkers.

Bass pro want $8:00 FOR ONE.

yES 8 BUCKS FOR 1, 8-OZ SINKER!!!!!!!

19. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can do some searches on google. There is a few places I have found in the past where you can get them for 50% cheaper than most any place I have seen.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats why i drill holes in wheel weights to use as sinkers brother. 8$ a piece roflmao, i bet some fools buy them too! cripe, i have to go see this for myself.lol