Fishing show or TV channel on catfish - not bass or salt water fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dcaruthers, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts on having an entire show or channel devoted to catfishing. Infisherman highlights cats a bit and every now and then Bill Dance does his annual bit, but they are far and few between.

I believe that ratings would be good because tv and catfishermen seem to go together like peas and carrots.

What say you?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds good to me. I'd watch it even if it was on pay tv

3. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree...........needs to be more than just bass fishing.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know I would watch. Heck, I'd even volunteer to fish for the cameras. Maybe they'd pay for me to travel around the world catching cats?

They might run out of material, though, kind of like Catfish Insider magazine. Wait, what am I saying. I've seen ol' Bill Dance catch the same darn largemouth with 3 or 4 different lures about 10,000 times.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I figure with the many different species, plethora of techniques for each, and variations in structure/topography for each body of water, there would be plenty of material. Everyone I talk to seems very interested, I'm just curious why it has never been done. There is plenty of money in the catfishing industry to be had.

6. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    It will probably, once more sponsor/manufacturer hop on board. Right now, I don't see that happening soon as catfishing is really not a high revenue sport and it targets different audience on the economic ladder. You see bass fishermen with high end high dollar boats with costly electronics on TV. Reels of choice are expensive and the ultra light and sensitive graphite rods with quality components are expensive as or more than the reels. On the other hand, catfishing is so versatile, you can cath them with practically any kind of tackle and it doesn't take much money to get into the sport. We don't have a large selection of lures, equipment, or fancy gadget to target old Mr. Wiskers. I would much rather see a large catfish on the other end of the line instead of watching some Bass angler flip, pitch, toss, or cast a lure all day long. I love to fish Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass myself and I use my bass gear for catfishing with good results. I haven't seen the other way applied to bass fishing.

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Well this just proves the point that you don't have to have a $40,000 truck and a $30,000 dollar boat to be a fisherman. I know that the big money sponsers are with the whole bass crowd. But hey they just don't know what they are missing. The really good, quality people that most of us would like to know or get to know are catfishermen. We would all like to have a $200 dollar rod and real set up but we don't need it. Besides why get too hi-tech about the basics anyways. Now this is just my opinion. But atleast i got something off my chest. Besides I would either tune in or tape it more often than going to church.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm up for any thing except for bass and salt water stuff, as close to any of that that I would be interested in would be peacock bass. Crappie, CAT, and stuff the every day guy fishes for, thats what I'm looking for.

9. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I would like to see that too.

On a similar thread, what's up with the constant barage of hunting shows on the Outdoor channel? I mean it's fishing season now and they keep showing the same old hunting shows I drooled over last winter.

10. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    They just figure everyones tired of Bill Dance catching the same 3 bass all the time.

I would love to see something like that. A fishing show for the average Joe, catching fish the way they do. Maybe showing them ways to make, find, and selecting bait. Showing where good structure is without a depth finder or a boat. I think there would be a much greater appeal to people. It doesn't have to be for just cats either. I would watch someone catch a 20 lb carp on an ultra light rod and reel.

11. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Outdoor television is not the first place catfishing will show up. What it needs is a comedy show on FX or something, showing the whole average Joe out there in his quest, as well as guys drinking (or not) and getting all philosophical with their views of the world. It would be great to see some of the stories that people have told about their experience, boats breaking down, getting caught fishing where they're not supposed to, that kind of stuff.

Or a reality show.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Those may be entertaining, but I want (foot stomping) a dagum serious catfishing show that shows the big boys breaking rods and straightening hooks. I want to see a big name on tv trying to get a fin out of his hand while his wife is trying to pull the anchor.

13. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I disagree on this, i think i am ready for a show on tv that is strictly catfish, but then like all the others they would only show us them catching them and never give us the real dosage of what they used or how they located them ect...

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, from what I have seen, there are only a few types of fish that are mainly featured on any fishing shows that I have seen: bass (large and small mouth), redfish, marlin, and tarpon. Even if they got some more species in there and it wasnt strictly about catfish I would have no problem.