Fishing show had me swearing!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BigCatDreaming, May 13, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The other day on the VS channel I was watching some guys who would put on scuba gear and dive under to noodle out some big flatties. They pulled out some nice ones! Fish well over the 30lb class. The show was all fine and dandy till I heard the host mention them keeping the catfish. The must of kept at least 8-10 of these brutes. 8-10 Flatties who had plenty more years in their lives to be caught and snapped by a camera. I'd imagine with those catfish between two guys would feed them for quite awhile, but it makes me wonder how often they do it. Sorry if this may offend some people, but I still have yet to get THE ONE and i'm starting to understand why.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I completely understand where you are coming from. i usually toss back all of my fish, reguardless of size. I am not saying that its wrong to keep a few smaller ones to eat, i have no problem with that. What i have a problem with is someone pulling up a bunchh of huge fish just to keep. If you want some fish, keep a few smaller ones. they taste better and it is not like they are in short supply.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    IN the water that i fish, the susquehanna river in PA, flatheads are a non-native speices. For that reason the Pennsylvania fish and boat commision asks that all flathead catfish caught, be kept, or removed from the waterway. That most likely isn't the case where you fish but it could be.

4. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here on the Altamaha flatheads are a non-native fish and are not welcome by the dnr or alot of locals becaused they have devastated the redbreast population, as for me i have found that i would much rather catch a 30 pound flattie than a 8oz redbreast so i have begun releasin them back, i will keep on every now and then cause one will will go along way to feeding the family.........anything in excess is bad.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hang in there John, every year more catfishermen get educated on how ignorant that behavior is.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating a fish. Christ even fed fish to the people!

My problem is with people that kill more than they need or waste fish by keeping more than they should. That includes the so-called rough fish like drum, carp and gar that are often found flapping their life away in the rocks where an uncaring person threw them.

If the fish noodled out are legal and are not wasted, no one on this board should think less of these people.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree somewhat, glad georgia dont allow scuba gear, i know divers who see them big cats down there in my river. maybe im greedy but i want them on my rod:smile2:

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    stump are you the one in the cat magazine breaking the state record for your state, with the abu6000? i read the article but dont remember the name but the fork truck picture reminded me of it....

9. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Scuba gear!!! C'mon. If you have to resort to that to get fish to eat you're either starvin' for attention or lookin' for some kind of thrill. If you want fish to eat and some thrills , try a rod and reel!! Noodling is one thing but scuba gear? That's B.S.!

10. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    yup i am the lucky one, still after a bigger one hung a few that i lost that might have beat it...thats whats make this fishing thing addictive.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I used to think nooddling would be cool, all it is is taking a fish out of it's nest. Not only do you lose the big spawners, you lose the whole hatch.

Here on the Schuykill in PA, the Boat and Fish Commission tells us to keep and kill all the flathead we catch. I have released all mine and sometime get alot of crap form other fisherman. I have even saved some flatheads by asking the fisherman for them because I tell them I'm gonna eat it and take it to my car. I then just release it somewhere where he can't see me. I've pulled this stunt many times.

12. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I thought that was you...i did almost 10 yrs in GA.. Ft stewart to be exact did no fishing there though. Looks like GA had some fish i shouldve fished for..Congrads on it buddy

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, I've kept my mouth shut long enough. This is my only complaint about most noodlers. They keep way too many big fish. Way too many big fish. I'm talking about people who have never even CONSIDERED throwing a big catfish back. They keep every single cat they noodle. Not all noodlers do this, but most of the folks that I know who are really good at noodling, keep every big fish. Period.

I wouldn't have a single complaint about noodling if they'd practice some selective harvest. Keep the smaller fish for yourself if you wanna keep and eat some fish. Release the bigger fish (10+ lb fish) to reproduce. I love eating fish as much as the next guy, but I haven't kept a catfish over 12 pounds since I joined this site. I had no idea how long it took a catfish to grow to trophy size. Now I know. If they only took pictures of the bigguns for bragging rights, it'd be different.... but these guys are keeping every big fish.

Before everybody blitzes me with info on how noodling doesn't affect the fish population, let me tell you this. I live in Oklahoma where it's legal. I've seen the four wheelers pulling trailers with ice chests down the rivers here. They get in the riverbeds when the rivers are low, and the hardcore noodlers go down the river pulling a small utility trailer with a couple of ice chests on it. They noodle every big fish out of every hole they come to, put them in the ice chests, and don't quit until they've caught every possible big fish. Down here, we know good and well that if we want to catch some good cats on rod & reel, we have to get to the rivers as soon as they start to drop after a good flood. If they get too low, these guys will go down the rivers and clean them out.

Wish I was making this up. Sorry if anybody gets offended.... I've noodled some too, and I know it's fun. But I really wish the noodlers would get into catch & release.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    These people think this is a endless resource, it is not. I too would like to go with someone that really no's how to hand fish but I'm not doing it myself. But the only way it should be done is catch and release. The reason I say this is because if I am correct, the only time handfishing is good is while they are on or about to be on the nest so why would you kill all of the offspring? If they keep taking all the big fish out of the system we will all be fishing for dinks someday and a trophy will be 10#er.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    don't want to jack this thread, but carl, congrats on the record flattie.
    read about it in the insider.
    about noodling, over the last couple of years my opinion on it has changed somewhat. i don't noodle, and i feed my family a lot of fish and wild game in general. i do know though that some folks grab these big flatties just for shock value or braggin rights. i would much rather catch big cats on rod and reel though. i don't even run trotlines or jugs as much as i used to, because i would rather have the good fight.
    i agree with the selective harvest thing on noodling. i kind of see it like deer hunting, in a way. so many hunters look down on shooting does; they are only out there to shoot that monster rutting buck. but with too many does, the herd's health suffers. if all our flatheads were 60+ monsters, maybe our fishing would suffer. i feel that some need to be kept, but that too many are being kept at this point in time.
    time will tell if enough catmen are doing the right thing. the whole grabbing them off the nest thing don't really sit right with me, but think about something. who quits fishing during the spawn? the reason a cat guards the nest is because there's a parade line of egg theives waiting for those eggs to be unguarded. as soon as you pull that sucker off the nest, it's open season. while you take that picture or weigh that big ol spawner, the eggs are devoured.
    something to think about.

16. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    This kinda says it all. If scuba gear is OK, then why not dynamite?

17. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    hell some of the spots i fish i wouldnt think about trying to grab a cat with my hands to many big damn turtles in the upper yadkin/ highrock in nc i caught one the other day that i was using as a seat until he diecde to go back in the water with me on his back. if he got a hold of ur hand or ur arm they would be calling u nubbs.

stump dont georgia have gators and they crawl up in the holes in the banks to right?? if so people can go on and be gator baitill sit back and watch and have the phone ready to dial 911

18. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you can afford to go noodling in scuba gear you can afford to buy a nice catfish dinner at a resterant. I like to eat what I catch occasionally, but I limit it to small channels and I only keep what will feed the family for that meal.