Fishing show fishing, real or not

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FishMan, Mar 16, 2007.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I guess we have all seen these shows were they are catching one fish after another. They say you only have to be there when the fish are there, well du, Does this really happen. Is there a time each year where a river is full of fish for a time peroid. I know it is possiable I just don't know where.

Do we have brother here that get in on this action. Is it really true.

Danny

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's very rare I have days like they do on the fishing shows, but it does happen on rare occasion. If it was like that everytime I went out, I'd probably get bored with it as it wouldn't be a challenge anymore. I've actually had days were I just stopped because I didn't have the energy to reel in any more fish! I could sure use a day like that right now after a loooooong winter:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have had quite a few of those days.
    i just dont know when one of those days will happen. to make up for that i just get out as much as possibe.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, it is not like that at all. but they have the ability to edit their film to make it look that way. Then, if their sponsor is pushing and xyz bouncer lure in lime green color, you can bet one ot the fish they pull in will have a lime green xyz bouncer lure (used in lieu of a real lures name - LOL) in its mouth. Course they catch the fish, hook the lure in a gristle part of its mouth, put it in the water and let it swim away. When they are ready to roll film, the wind up the line. You then see the hook set and the fish splashing as it comes to the boat with that ugly lure hanging in it mouth. One thing about it, those fishing shows are just about as pure and honest as the U.S. Senate or any presidential office. And there is not a LOL after that statement.

5. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Most of the 'Infisherman' shows I have watched don't seem that way.Yes I'm sure they get something for 'plug'n' a certain brand of lure,boat or whatever,but they have certainly admit they spend countless hours fishing,and seem more than willing to try new techniques to catch fish.Just wish they'ld show more catfishing,instaed of walleyes or smallsmouths.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Generally what you get is the condensed version of a week or so of effort, they wear identical clothes everyday, etc. and yes they have days where nothing is biting. When Infisherman did the blue cat by Alton they were out almost a week before the guy they were showcasing hooked into that 80 lb.er.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You all are correct but I am wondering more about the places where some happen. I saw one where they were in the sabine river and the guide said the white bass are thick in there during certin weeks. He said 2 people could catch several hundred in a day during this time.
    I would love to know when these things happen, I would jump in the RV at the drop of a hat to experience something like that.
    I don't even know where the sabine river is.

Danny

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah danny it happens two years ago i went to canada and caught 400 smallmouth bass in 3 days they were starving it seemed some were 18" long and didnt weigh 2# , then last summer before henderson gathering i stopped by dads and went out on rough river with him and vern and were catching hibred striped bass on live shad as fast as you could throw out any where from 12" to 24" dad caught one close to 30" vern said the day before the fish were biting better , we caught close to 30 fish in an hour , catfish are a whole other story though the most weve done is 32 in 6 hours me and vern in a tourny we took first place that night but were only aloud to weigh 5 fish we had more fish total than the other 15 boats had in all

but i dont doubt that those shows have 2 or 3 cameras running at different angles to make it look like more fish being caught than actually are

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

I dont think there is any specific time its more attached to conditions like temperature, water conditions, current conditons, etc.
    You can get close with time but to know when its happening or beginning to happen you got to be there fishing or know someone that is.

Much like the shad runs up the rivers here. Man that is some good eating and good cat bait. They trickle in here and there and some people scream the shad are running. They arent running, you just got a few out in front of the pack.
    The only way to know when its time to go is to spend alot of time on the water and network with other people that do particularly those people farther down river then where you fish. Then you know its going to be the next couple of days in the case of our shad.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    not sure if this applies or not Danny. I have a friend that fishes Reelfoot a lot. He was over there one time and said a bunch of boats came roarin into a large cove he was near. They (was fishin with a buddy) just sat back and started watchin at what all the commotion was about.
    It turns out a couple boats were camera crews and a few boats were some "well known bass fisherman". They watched the boats manuevering for a while and then they reached into the livewells and hooked some really nice fish onto the pre-rigged poles of the fisherman. They let the fish into the water..the cameras started rollin and they "shot" these guys reelin in some really nice fish.
    It turns out it was some type of advertising shoot for a name brand of lure....crazy stuff.

cyas
    robert

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Danny, The Sabine river is in Texas, and yes when the white bass run you can catch em on almost every cast. During this time they are moving upriver to spawn, some areas will have greater concentrations than others, so being there at the right time and place is key.
    The white bass are starting to move here in TN, but not quite there. I was fishing with Bryan upstream from lock B yesterday, cats weren't biting so we started fishing for white bass, wound up with 9, one 3.5 pounder a couple 2lber's. Bryan caught the 3.5 lber. When the water temps get to a stay in the mid 50's then the crappie and white bass and others will be in the spawning mode.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Danny I have had so many days, That I can't keep up with them. Where on catfish and White bass. That I have caught them until I give up and stop/.
    Smaller catfish ( 1 to 5 lbs) here toward the end of April. WE always have a ball the weekend of the 20th and on toward the end of may most years. Where you can load the boat in a few hours.
    Last year at that time 41 catfish that weighed 90+ lbs in 4 hours.
    Also we double a lot then also. I have caught 2 at a time 5 or 6 times per day some days.

White bass from about now until last of April well I have had lots of days where its 200+ fish with 2 people fishing. That is using craw fish and wearing them out. We fish from bank or boat and you do catch them until you wear out.
    But you have to find where there at that day. As soon as they start I will let you know and I hope its that way when the Pickwick gathering is going on.

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i really doubt that they are only fishing for as long as the show lasts.. they are probably fishing for hours and only showing the parts where they catch fish.. JMO