fishing shallow

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 14, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i always fish about 20 yards of from the bank at night, with a poll is this to deep, its about 5 foot out their 50 yards is about 20, what do you suggjest alkso theres no fallen trees or structure, but maby some small limbs, alot of rip rap, this is a commen problem with my hoels, also are are bride peers structer

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    eip rap and bridge pileings are great for flats.i fish between the pileings and the rip rap you can catch them coming in to feed.

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yep bridge pilings hold fish for sure if you can fish in the eddy behind them it's a good idea. Also when fishing rip rap fish right up against it. The small fish are hiding in those rocks and the flathead come to catch them.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rip rap and bridge piles both count as structure. I would try to fish right at the bottom of the rip rap, where it runs out at the river bottom, or near the bridge pilings.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    also,if you are fishing shallow,fish by the banks,especially if there are branches or even bushes laying over in the water.they will come up in there to feed because that will hold bait fish also.
    the fish in my avatar came out of about three feet right beside a limb in the water.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Riprap is great cover and if you rig right the hangups can be bearable. I caught my avatar fish in about 3-5 ft. of water near an eddie on rocky cover.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly target the deepest water i can for flats,,,Structure is not impotant to me a long as it's deep/