Fishing Season in Georgia.

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by goshawk, Oct 17, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There was post earlier on one of the general discussion areas about when the timing of the fish biting and the approaching winter season. Obviously it will be much different when comparing North Dakota and Americus Georgia.

So From a Georgia perspective, how long can one expect to fish in a fall season with good results before the winter sets in?

I would think that things can be quite productive even into December, with January and February being the slowest of the winter months.

Then I would anticipate things opening up again in March with the summer slowing down maybe in the June time frame?

Even though, I'll give it a try any month of the year and in all honestly just sort of guessing, but what is other folks opinions concerning fishing in Georgia.

Pat

www.gypsyfarm.com

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey pat i think your perty close on the times. im down at lake seminole and i fish year round. my slowest months are dec - feb starts getting better as it warms in march but even on a hot winter day and we have some of those the big ones will still bite good. hey bye the way im gonna try to put a tourney on in 2010 at the lake there are some big fish down here and all will be catch and release at this point. would love to have ya!

3. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Not only have I not been to Lake Seminole, but I've never fished in a tournament. Looks like I could have an opportunity to do both :big_smile:

Pat

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I usually have pretty good luck until the water temp drops below 50 degrees.

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I live in the southern part of NC. Its gettin cold early this year. The water temp is dropping fast. I think those big blues are allready making there way back to those deep holes. Mite wanna start fishing in the old river channels in between the upper and lower parts on lakes or rivers.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I am going tommorrow if at all possible

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not a GA native, but I will be fishing all year. Last feb. I was still boating nice fish and the temps water temps were around 45. Flatheads may be a little different though, I think Paul is right on with 50 degrees for the flats

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Actually, Pat did'nt specify the species and I was refering to fishing in general. I know a lot of blue cat fishing takes place in the winter in water colder than 50 degrees. I think flathead fishing is better when its warmer than 50 degrees. Another thing to keep in mind is the shad kill. When it gets colder than 45 degrees, a lot of shad start to die. I'm sure channel and blue cats take advantage of this, as do other gamefish. Vertically jigging a spoon can be an excellent way to catch stripers and bass when shad start to die and quite a few catfish are caught using this method also. One thing is for sure, I'm usually sitting in front of the fireplace when all this is happening. LOL

9. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    When the water temps drop below the 50 degree mark the blue cats go to deeper water. The only thing I don't like about fishing the winter months is all the clothes you have to wear to stay warm. Catfish bite good in cooler water if you find them and can stand the cold weather.

10. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i can put on enough clothes to stay warm but i cant take enough off to stay cool....lol....:smile2:

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I tried but it was so windy I got to find a tree lined pond or lake with a good wind block somewhere