Fishing Saturday night

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Seth, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    My parents and I got up to Truman Tailrace about 5:30 yesterday evening. It was a mad house up there and it took us a while to even find a spot to fish.

I got skunked again. My parents caught a few small crappies, drum, and one 19" walleye using minnows on the East side on the point at the very end of the island. One guy that I gave some shad too said that they had caught a 20 pound blue on the West side down towards no boating buoys.

We stopped at Bagnell Dam on the way up and caught a bunch of shad for bait. If anybody needs shad and have to go near Bagnell on your way up, you can get enough bait for an army up along the dam wall with a few throws of the cast net. I gave shad away to a lot of guys that weren't having much luck getting them from the tailrace.

Jeffjbeard from the forum met me down there around midnight or so I guess and we fished till it was just starting to get light out. He caught two little ones and I got nothing, but it was fun to shoot the bull and talk catfish all night. :big_smile:

2. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    seth come back up anytime would love to fish with you again next time maybe we can get up to the hole that has been pretty good to me. If not I think I found another hole that looks like it might be pretty good hopeing they slow down the current pretty soon would like to work some other spots without what seems to be a pound of lead just to hold on the bottom.

3. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    Seth, I was probably the one with the 20lber you were told. We had 2 friends fishing that side on the same night. One was heading to where you were the other was close to the dam. The one up by the dam went home about 11:30pm with no luck. We spent the night. Had the 20 by 11:00pm then things slowed till about 3:30am. Told my son that we would rebait at 3:00am because it usually gets good at 4:00. By the time we rebaited the last pole the 1st one was taking a nosedive. He wasn't disapointed. Its funny though about everything quits at 6:30am when everyone else is just getting there.We were using 2 5oz weights and were still blowing close to the bank. I'm experimenting with making a new weight that will be lighter than 6oz but will hold better than 10oz. I have to make a new mold first. I'll let everyone know how it works.

4. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    By the way, I drive a big dark red dodge 2500 cummings (loud) with a dumptruck bed.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Do you catch a lot of good size fish when your bait gets washed up close to the bank? Everybody up there always throws way out when they fish. I've noticed though when I was up there that I see a lot of smaller catfish swimming right under the surface within 15 yards of the bank. It always makes me wonder if there's some bigger ones underneath all the small ones.

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Seth We were just out from the island in a camo seaark with a cabin, We left about 2:00 am, are you going back this weeend ?

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Ohhhh ok....me and Jeff were talking about your boat then because of the cabin that it had built onto it.

I doubt I make it back up again this weekend, but hey you never know. If my fish finder comes in this week, I will probably take my boat out on the Missouri or up to Bagnell. If I do decide to come back up there though, I'll make a post and let you fellers know.

8. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    The biggest we have caught when were blowing up on the bank was a 34lbs blue. I'm a real believer in current. The trick is holding in the current. An old man on the river once said "if your not half scared your not going to catch big cat fish". I'm a real believer in that. When I'm fishing from the bank in heavy current and my pole hangs even as little as 20 degrees from the shore the rod tip bends almost 90 degrees and the line begins to sing I get a smile on my face, because I know it won't be long. If we are in our boat, look for an old brown 24ft pontoon with lawn chairs for seats and a guy in biboveralls with a long mustache. That would have to be us. My wife loves to fish also. Stop and say hello!