Fishing Sat..& Hook question

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Powhatan, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hi all.. I went fishing on Saturday and met up with FreshbaitRules(Jeff). Caught enough cutters down at deep bottom then headed up river for some action. We caught about 15 small ones 5 to 10 pounds.. good enough...

Here is the big BUT! I had several huge pull downs.. line strippers. I was able to get the rods out of the holders and held on..line stripping all of the time. These were quality fish..40 - 60 pounds for sure. The problem was that the fish "just let go" .. pulling hard..running and then nothing.

I was using number 8 circle hooks. I have never had so many big fish just "dissapear".. any thoughts on this? Were the hooks too big? Too little?

Are treble hooks legal? If so does anyone use them?

Thanks.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wouldn't change a thing. Make sure your hooks are sharp. I resharpen probably more often than needed. Keep enough drag on your reels to let the fish set the hook on the first run. I leave my rods on fighting drag in the rod holders. If you are using big baits a small fish can grab it and run like heck without being able to get the hook in its mouth good. I assume you are barely hooking the bait in a corner of the bait and leaving the hook totally exposed so the circle hook can work its magic.

Good luck

3. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank Kenneth..

Yep...barely hooking bait. Drag set pretty stiff in the rod holder.. I only loosen the drag if I know it is a big one and could run fast and snap the line..these were definately not little fish. My guess is they were big guys and the hooks just did not get a bite.

First time this has happened with as much frequency.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Probably just bad Karma that day. I have been to the bay a couple of times fishing live eels on circle hooks. I have not hooked three fish that were on rods about to break and screaming runs. Go figure. Also had two stripers hooked deep in the throat with circle hooks. What's up with that? Not a problem though as both fish got a fillet and release in hot grease.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Blues can fool you into thinking they are hooked when they really aren't.

Read somewhere that a JR Guide would prefish tourneys the day before w/o a hook in the bait. He would sometimes fight fish for a while before they finally got the bait off the line or gave up.

So just because they're running and fighting back, doesn't always mean they're hooked.

If you could give me more detail, like GPS coordinates of this spot where lots of 40-60 lb fish were, I could probably help you more.

6. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    LOL.... I don't have GPS on the spot..but everyone knows them.. Wing dams down river from 295 bridge.

Should I let the fish run longer? The rods were bent to the water with drag screaming.. I could have sworn they were hooked..

I have netted big fish before and the hook would just fall out. The circle hook never bit..it was just holding on in the gum by pressure. Maybe I need bigger hooks. Do you use anything bigger than an 8?

C.

7. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Powhatan, you don't need a huge hook to catch a big fish. They can be caught with a 6/0 as long as there is plenty of hook exposed so it can turn in the fish's mouth. I use 8/0 and sometimes 10/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks but I think the 8/0 are more versatile. I caught a 52 off one of those wing dams a few years back on a 6/0 hook. Just how the fish grabs the bait. Even if he just grabs the end of the bait, a big fish can put a lot of pressure on the line and start stripping drag. Put your hand in a big fish's mouth and let him clamp down on it and you'll get the picture!

8. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was having the same problem till i started keeping my clickers locked and loosening the drag enough to just keep the spool letting just a little line as to not break anything! my hook up ratio went from about 50% to well over 90%