Fishing sand between dikes?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by rodenberg, Sep 30, 2007.

1. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    how do some of you fish sand between dikes? I dont know if I am doing some things right. do you look for ledges on sand bar edge, flat bottom, hard current. I am clueless the path I have been taking for fishing the sand is not worth a crap. I either find my self in what I would think is to shallow or too much current. I think the problem is that I have no idea what I am doing. any tips or funny little drawings would be great. I am not asking for anyone's top secret tactics just a little advice
    Thanks, Jessie

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    i'm sure a top secret tactic or two might come in handy though. JK. :tounge_out: if I could help you I would.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a great question Jessie. I'm not much of a sandbar fisherman as I concentrate on channel ledges, rock revetments and current rips. I know the guys out west fish the sand bars alot and they will be along shortly to show you what to look for.

My advice is look for STRUCTURE. Structure meaning anything that causes a disturbance in the water flow, including the water itself. Holes, Humps, Back Eddy's, channel ledges, tributary channel entrances, tree tops, rocks, underwater weir dams (my fav's :wink:) Basically, anywhere you see the river flow going a different direction than straight is a good place to look. Anywhere you see the water boiling up is a great place to search also. There is something causing the water to boil up and its usually something substantial. Places like this will hold the Cats as they are out of the main current and need minimal effort to swim around. Even in the extreme whitewater conditions at a dam have fairly calm current pockets down deep that the fish will sit in.

You'll find them soon. Keep in mind I think everyone had been on a pretty poor bite for a couple of weeks. Just now starting to hear some reports of some fish being caught.

4. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks, cuz when you find the distortions in current lets say a wing dike end that has water flowing over it do you find fish in front of it or on the back side of it. I am thinkin the water should be some somewhat calm on front side at the bottom or the river

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

There is supposed to be a 'tube' of sorts of slack water area along the front or upstream side of a dike near the bottom. Fish actively feed here from what I have read. Haven't put it to much practical use yet.:smile2:

They will also be in the scour holes that form on the downstream sides. Scour holes can be in different places on different dikes. There are a lot of dynamics and variables with angles, current, sedimentation etc....... that determine how the water will carve up the river bottoms. Thats what makes it so interesting!

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Between some dikes it is almost filled in or very shallow. However between other dikes it is deeper. What I have done in the past is fish the ledge. That is, coming from the channel towards the shore, motor in and watch the finder. There will be a point where the depth jumps up rapidly as you approach the bank. I like to anchor on the ledge. I believe it is like a highway the fish use to go upstream and downstream.

First time I ever tried that I caught a 50 lber. Unfortunately it was the day before the big Tournament :eek:oooh: as I was trying a new spot, LOL.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    When I fish sandbars, I concentrate on the first couple up or down from the channel swing. As a rule these seem to be the most productive. When fishing sandbars remember the water is much shallower then other parts of the river, and you need to be quieter and mind your lights as well.

8. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have personally had alot of luck with dip baits for Channel Cats on sand bars. Never had much luck with blues or flats even at night. It also seems like the channels on a sandbar seem to be of the same size. Find a bunch of 2-3 lb and you can get a nice stringer going in a hurry. Not always that easy though :big_smile:.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My favorite way to fish a good dike is to pitch the anchor right on the tip of the dike, then let 15-20 yards of line out. The boat should lay nice and tight against the current and not due a whole lot of dancing. I'll generally use a 4 rod set up. From left to right, I'll drop rod one straight down off the back of the boat. Rod Two gets tossed way out on the slack water side of the rip. Rod Three goes out just a little bit further than the first Rod and Rod 4 gets tossed out into the main current rip. That way I have two rigs on each side of the current seam, and they dont get tangled with each other as they are staggered. A good dike will have a pretty deep hole with some rock in it, and its best if there is a 'hump' downriver from the tip. I've found the Blues really like to relate to the humps, at least around this stretch of the river. Like BradK said above, I've found the first couple dikes up and downstream of a channel shift are generally better than others. Anywhere the river makes a hard bend are good places to look.

I'm going to be doing more sandbar fishing in the future myself, especially with some of the post the "westies" made. They catch some pigs out there too and I know they pound those sandbars.

ALot of other folks have great success anchoring upstream of the dyke tips, however I dont fish to much in that manner. You'll eventually figure out what works best for YOU on your stretch of river. Try all the methods that you have heard about until you find whats working. Tight Lines.....

10. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am with you on the lights and noise I aways try to sneek into where I am going to fish it doesnt always work but I try. I also dont use light unless I am baiting or gonna retie. I have notice many times that one DONK on the boat and the fish are gone

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's where the nice carpeted interior plays in!

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ahhh sand bar fishing. There one day gone the next! If your going to pound them pound them hard. Figure out what works for you. Seems like everyone has a different way of fishing them. Right now my ways are changing on them. Last year I had better success on them the year before I did really well. This year not so much.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Maybe thats why we don't catch fish when the boys go. Sure is a LOT OF DONKING in the boat.:crazy:

Cooler Lids slamming non-stop as snacks and drinks are devoured with lightning speed, running, stomping, baitwell lid slamming, 8 oz and larger sinkers being dropped on the aluminum floor, arguing etc........:eek:oooh:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It wont let me REP ya back Big Darryl. Says I need to "spread the love" :wink:

For the underwater dikes, or weir dams, I'll idle up to the top of the dike and pitch the anchor. It usually holds pretty good there. I'll then fish two rods straight down at the base of the weir dam , and two out in the slick like I mentioned before. Gary can vouch for me as I almost always drop a line or two straight under the boat. Its amazing what sits under your boat while your out there fishing. :smile2:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have also started easing up to the underwater dikes (all of them are underwater in my area) and dropping anchor just over the crest.

The Giant Brute Catfish (it had to be of course) that demolished my Driftmaster and broke my 50 lb leader all in one split second was also lurking straight under the boat while I was anchored. That line was dropped straight down also. I have learned to loosen my drags a bit though.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yep, that would cause a feller to remember to set his drags after every cast. :smile2: Much like Gary now knows to not try and 'thumb the spool' when we snag into a freight train asian. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: Dang that was funny.

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im going back to my old strategies from 2004. The other side of the river from the sand bars and dikes are normally the main channel with the main channel markers for the barges. I really believe that the big ones “swim with the barges” in the deeper channels. Wing dikes have always been about my 6th choice in the past anyhow. Main channels in and beside ledges, outside cuts where the deeper holes are from barge traffic, power plants, dams, barge docking areas then wing dikes. There are fish all over in these rivers. It is just knowing where and reading the water. Look for where the bait is.. The catfish will be feeding somewhere close. Now I have the tackle and equipment that I think I need to get them!

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Funny Ehhh????? I didn't think it was that funny at the time!!:big_smile::big_smile: I still got a set of grooves cut in my thumb from that Power Pro.

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Cuz and others know that if your rods are labeled with your name, address and phone# you can use up to 33 rods if you so desire.

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I think I need to buy some more rod holders:smile2:. I did not know that, do you have to have them labled if you only have 4?