Fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Aug 17, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have been using berkely big mh rods, for awhile now I am looking to upgrade to maybe a medium or lighter rod, or should stick to what I have been using? The reason I wont a lighter rod is because I am losing fish I think they feel the heavy rod and turn lose.

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    for ur problem i would use an ugly stick, Catfish series, its reliable, good sencitivety and can hold a high amount of test, and its not over priced
    its really strong but sencitive.

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have 1 with an ambassider 5000 and i have caught some big fish on it havent lost many at all!

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    it depends on what size your after, if your going after some goood sized fish id stick with what you have. but if your not targeting fish in a size range that the back bone of the big game rod is going to help you, then id go with some thing lighter, the uglycatfish rod is a good option cuz it can handle a big load but is still sensitive, or you can get a regular ugly stick, or one of the tiger ugly sticks, but ive heard of the reels on em messing up but the rods are good. hope this helps

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Get a Gator Rod, waiting on mine, wont be long now. Great rod made by a BOC member, ya can't go wrong there brother.

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey man just go to wally world and find you a good one. matt do you still have that combo for sale? i might be interested down the road if you still have it then

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    High CJ21. I know what you mean I have both M/H and just regular med. and in some sisuations i prefer the Med as it has a lighter tip and and will detect the light biters better. I fish quite often for channel cat and a #15 pounder is a good one and the Medium rod handles them quite well. now when I'm going for the Big boys with live bait I step up to the M/H or the heavys. Just a suggestion for $55.00 dollars you can get yourself an Ugly Stik Tiger medium and it has a light tip and plenty of back bone and it will last you a life time. It also has a 5 year warenty that goes with it. I don't think you will be disapointed with it. JMHO. Your Friend J.D.Straka :big_smile:

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have two of the 7' M/H Tiger rods with 7000C3 reels on them and I think this combo would be hard to beat for any size catfish but there are a lot of good rods and reels out there. I think its more of a personal choice as what you feel comfortable with.

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i agree with john,it's what you are comfortable with and going to have confidence in,

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys, right now I am using a Abu 6000 baitcaster and a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner spinning reel. I might get some wooden handle rods.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    For the quality, warranty and price the Ugly Stik Tiger (gold looking color) is very hard to beat.

I have a bunch of different rods (in different actions and lengths) for different conditions and methods. But, for an "all round" catfishing rod. I would highly recommend the Ugly Stik Tiger, in a 7 foot length in a medium light to medium action. They will give you a lot of sensitivity etc but with a lot of backbone. But, if you are going to be throwing heavy baits I would opt for the medium heavy to heavy actions. The 7 foot length is a good "all round" length in my opinion. Good for both bank and boat fishing.