Fishing Rods Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Mickey, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone have accurate regulations for the number of rods that can be used in Illinois waters. I know we are allowed 50 hooks. And two rods without tags. Can we use up to 48 more rods if they are tagged? If tags are necessary then what info.has to be on the tag? Where can these tags be purchased. Any info will help. I have only used two untagged rods for years and have just heard about tagging.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Don't Know for shure in Illionis But give it a Try, I'll Will come Bail You Out of Jail ! J.D.
    :beat_shot:

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    If i remember,the only river where there is a 2-pole limit is the Missisippi.The fox,illinois,rock,k3 etc dont have any.But i think if you are using more than 2-poles...they all have to have a tag on them.As far as the forest preserves and lakes...i think they all have a 2-pole limit.

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I tried editing the previous but it wouldnt let me...

You are allowed up to 50 hooks wherever there is a no 2-pole limit.If more than 2-poles are being used,the rest would need a tag including your name and address on them.This would include poles,trot lines,dip nets bouyed devices,etc.As far as where to get the tag,I would think any tag(like the ones used in luggages) would be fine.

Please do some research on where there is a no 2-pole limit.There is alot of bad information going around on where and where it is not allowed to fish with more than 2-poles.The only river that i know of for example that has a 2-pole limit is the Missisippi.The rest like K3,Rock,Illinois and the Fox doesnt.Hope this helps...

5. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    :big_smile:
    JD I have never been arrested. Are you a locksmith? That is just in case they throw away the key for the first offence. I hope someone gives me a clear answer on this. I love your post and thoughts. Good Fishing.

6. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just use some of your return address labels that u use on mail envelopes ,and cover them with some good clear tape,, works great and it has all the information required,,,( Name , address, city, state , and zip code),,, every one has some of those ,,, (I think)

Easy as pie

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Pick up a copy of the Illinois fishing Regs. It will tell you everywhere that has a 2 pole limit..

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

In Illinois, any place that does not have a rod/reel regulation allows up to 50 hooks. This means that you may bait 2 rod and reels, have a 25 hook trot line out (tagged with name, address & phone #), 15 jugs tagged the same, and 8 bank poles tagged also. Unlike Minnesota, a treble hook counts as one hook.

As always, please be familiar with the area you are fishing, and KNOW the regulations before putting a line in the water.

Ray

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Ray. I understand what you mean when you say KNOW the regulations.I have limited my self to two rod/reels for years, when I could have been useing more. I never bothered to check it out. Who says" I'm to old to learn?"

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Page 8, section 1 of the IL Fishing Digest says, "Anglers must not use more than 2 poles and each pole must not have more than 2 hooks or lures while fishing." It does not specify any location. I remeber using 6 or more poles at Banner backwater but the law change sometime in late 60's or early 70's. Also remember being able to take more than 6 bass. That also change at the same time to aIL limit of 6.

You can also contact Herb Dreir (IDNR) at 217-935- 6860 ext. 238. He can give you all the info in writing that you need or will get you to the person who will. He's a good guy that promotes fishing in the state.

11. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Jim for the input. I'll check with Herb and see if I can catch the latest.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i know most all info here is correct. 50 hooks and two pole with no more than two hooks and such. as far as rods and reels i believe its state wide two pole limit reguardless. on rivers im not positive. all other fishing devices must be tagged with owners name & address.

im pretty sure its a state wide law 2 rod limit and the two pole thing most are talking about is where there is a 2 pole and line fishing only. this means no bank poles and or trotlines.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Unless there is a Site specific (2 pole and line only regulation) you are allowed 2 untagged devices. anything in excess of 2 must be tagged with your name and address! Up to 50 hooks.....

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is what your reg's say.

A 2 pole and line Fishing Only regulation permits the angler to take fish with no more than 2 poles with no more than 2 hooks or lures per line. Also permitted ( unless otherwise noted ) are legal-sized cast nets, shad scoops and minnow seines for bait fishing. Bullfrogs may be taken by hand,gig,pitchfork:eek:oooh: ,spear,landing net,and hook and line during bullfrog season.

The next paragragh reads as follows.

On Waters Without The 2 Pole And Lines Fishing Only restriction, up to 50 hooks in total may be used legally on devices permitted under a sport fishing license. Legal devices include: bank poles and lines. dip nets,throw lines,trot lines,buoyed devices (jug fishing),gigs,spears,bow and arrow,and bow and arrow devices ( no more than 50 hooks total) under the anglers immediate control are allowed. Each legal device more than two, up to 50 hooks total, must be tagged with the anglers name and address. If attached to a tree, the device must be attached to the main trunk below the water line.

:0a26:

15. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Johnny for your help it is appreciated.:big_smile:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i think that means only two rod and reels statewide. even if tagged.

17. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    The 2-pole limit only apllies to the area that has that regulation.If you lokk in the pages of the "Site Specific Fishing Regulations",which starts at page

18. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sorry about the previous post.I accidentally hit the post button and now it wont let me edit it.Anyways,to clear things up...

Pages 9 and 10 of the DNR book sates the 46 rules fishermen have to go by.Heres and example:

Baldwin Lake,
    Baldwin Lake Conservation Area (Randolph County)
    All Fish . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Pole and Line Fishing Only (1) (5)
    Large or Smallmouth Bass. . . . . 18
    " Minimum Length Limit
    Striped, White or Hybrid
    Striped Bass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
    " Minimum Length Limit

Reading this means that Baldwin Lake has a 2-pole limit(which is why it has the #1 behind it).But...It also has rule #5 which states "
    Except that sport fishermen may take carp, carpsuckers, buffalo,

gar, bowfin and suckers by pitchfork, gigs, bow and arrow or bow
    and arrow devices".

Heres one without the 2-pole limit:

Rock River, from the Sears and Steel Dam downstream to confluene
    of the Mississippi River,
    State of Illinois (Rock Island County)
    Walleye . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
    " Minimum Length Limit with a
    [LEFT][B]20[/B][/LEFT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]"[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1]-27[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]" [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1]Protected Slot Length Limit [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1](24)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1][LEFT][B]Walleye and Sauger (14) . . . . . . 6 Fish Daily Creel Limit with no[/B]
    [B]more than 1 walleye greater than[/B]
    [B]27[/B][/LEFT][/SIZE][LEFT][/left][/FONT][LEFT][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]" [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1]in total length[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/LEFT][B][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Hope this clarifies the regs in Illinois...

19. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The second one you posted is the exact reason why we had 25 bank poles, 15 jugs, and 3-4 rod and reels out at once.

I've said it before, just know what the site specific regs are for where you are fishing.

Ray

20. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks members I think you have helped me Alot. I appreciate all your input.