Fishing Rods recomendation? Help me Pick!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by master_cat, Feb 15, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im lookin for afordable rods in the 8 ft to 10 foot range wats good brands and i need a rod that can handle a big slip bobber thanks

2. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I recomend Ugly Stik or Cat Maxx by Bass Pro.I own these rods and can testify these are all excellant rods.I also own others, but these I highly recomend!Never has one failed me yet.You dont have to have high dollar tackle to have a good time and catch fish.I fish as often as I can and these are affordable(in my opion)for me.The CatMaxx 8ft I paid 40$(sale at Bass Pro),Ugly Stik Tiger 7ft 55$,Ugly Stik Big Water 7ft 50$ new but I found for less at a pawn shop.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I dont know how abundant they are, but I got a Mudville Catmaster from Dick's Sporting Goods (8 ft.) for around 18 dollars. They are nice rods. I wouldnt try to tackle anything in the triple digits with them, but I think they would be excellent for anything up to around 50 pounds assuming you dont try to horse them too hard. They work great with 20lb. Berkley Big Game or Cajun Red.
    :0a26:

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I strongly recommend Surge Rods if you have somewhere in your area that sells them. They are a little more pricey in the $60 range but are well worth it. In my opinion they are the best rod out there. They have a really really strong backbone for reeling in the big ones and getting good leverage but a soft tip for detecting the little soft bites. All stainless eyelits and a lifetime warranty as well. If you want a good rod Id spend a little more to go with a Surge and trust me they are well worth the price!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check our sponser catfishconnection, they have good prices on rods.

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I agree with Jack. I get all of my rods from there now, and don't even bother looking any where else.

Ray

7. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I would check out CC first. Good people.

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I would go ugly stick all the way. I haven't had any kind of trouble with there rods yet. I even use an ugly for my bluegill rod.

9. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i personally like the calypso rods dont know if you can find them or not but they are really good sturdy rods for about 15$

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use Quantum Big Cat rods and Love them. I have them in 7 1/2' one piece and heavy backbone. Be great for what your needing.

11. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Go with an Ugley stick bro !!!!!!;)

12. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Berkley makes some good rods in a good price range

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    If you go to our sponsor Catfsih connection in their close out hot deals section they have the Ugly stik big water rod 10 fter on sale. That would make a great rod for the money.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i beleive they were discontinued late last year but if you can still find them you cant beat the berkly reflex rods for the price. not talking about the glow-stiks or the cheaper ones, but the ones with the red on white blank/cork handle types. i remember them selling for around $35. wish i would have grabbed a couple more before bass-pro sold out.

15. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Im a big fan of the Zebco titanium rods and they also have a few more like it and all under $30. I belive.
    I also saw a Shakespear Wicked stick and for $17.99 it wasnt a bad rod

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the American Premier nite stick rods.You can get them on catfish connection for about 20 bucks,to me they are just as good if not better then some of the high price ones.

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You need to go to CC & check out the Jim Moyer The boss rods. Excellent rods. In 4 styles that are sure to match your needs. I was a quantum Big Cat fan for years but I had a lot of trouble with the eyes I might add Im hard on things. The quantums only come in 2 styles & were a little to heavy for some of the techniques I use. The Boss rods are available in 4 styles that give me a better choice for the different techniques I use....Abu65