Fishing Rods for fishing at Truman dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jms43, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm getting ready to build a rod specifically for fishing below the dam at truman. My question is, what kind of rods do you guys like to use bank fishing below the dam? I'm looking at building a 13' sumo blank and I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what it should include.

2. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    12 or 13 either or...

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would say 12-14.

4. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Thirteen foot sounds like a good length. I would put maybe bout fifteen stainless steel double footed guides on it also would double wrap em, just in case ya hook into a cat that thinks he should of been a freight train. my two cents on a reel would be somethin in the area of a garcia 7000i. Oh a would also throw a hook keeper on it. For sure blank thru handle, prefer one piece but that would be your call if ya wanted to make it a two piece. Hope i helped:wink:

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive fished below Truman Dam a few times, and in my opinion , 12' Heavy Action Ugly Stik Big Water is the only way to go. Slap a 7000ic3 or a Shimano 6500 baitrunner on there, with some 100 lb. power pro, and your set. Trust me. :wink::big_smile:

6. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The blank I've got is a 13' Sumo big water blank. I believe these are the same blanks that Catfish Safari use to make their rods. I've figured out what I'm going to do with it. I'm going to cut about 6 inches off of the tip to make it 12' 6". I'm using black paracord for the handle, Using a Fuji, DPSH heavy duty reel seat, and I'm probably going to use 8 - 10 guides to keep it lighter and more sensitive. It'll probably be a week or so, but when I'm done I will post some pics for you guys.

7. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Sounds like ya got it figured:cool2:. Looforward to seein the finished product.

8. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    cant wait to see the pics!!

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will have to get back to ya after May 17:wink:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Can't wait to see the pics. Sounds like you are going to build a good one

11. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use a 1321mh 12" Lamaglas it works very well with a abu 7500 60lb braid with a 4-6oz.hope this helps.

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    sounds like a plan