FISHING ROD? Using a snagging rod as a catfish rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BIG_D, Oct 17, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i need some input hear what would it hurt to use a snagging rod as a cat rod reasen i ask is i found a good deal on a 10ft.er the extra length would work great at the river i think but iv never had anything to do with a snagging rod thay look strong i am planning on building a 8ft. rod but for the price diff if it would work well i would change my minde but i want some info befor i make my minde up i would rather spend the extra to build one if the snagging rod wouldent satisfy me!!!!!!!!!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess I need some enlightenment. I know of spinning rods, I know of bait casting rods, I know of boat rods, but never have I heard of a snagging rod. Isn't that just the spinning or bait casting rod used to snag? But, I would think it could well serve your needs. LOL Also, it may be that a snagging rod is a spinning/bait casting rod with a stiff action. I would prefer a medium action, but a stiff action would work.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The rods that claim to be for snagging that I have seen have a really stiff tip. Too stiff for alot of situations. IMO they will be a good choice for flatheads in brushpiles and heavy current on the river. Not a great choice for an all around rod, imo.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well most snagging rods I've seen are solid glass instead of hollow so they are kinda heavy, and not real sensitive. Two that come to mind are the ozark snaggin by eagle claw and the striker by american spirit.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Like almost everything, "It Depends". I've got a couple of 14' custom 'river rods' that were built for long distance casting and for snagging below the dams on the Arkansas River. But where the long length doesn't get in the way, they are good heavy action catfish rods for general use. The main feature that keeps me from using them more is that they are one-piece rods. I also have a couple of short 'Ozark Snaggers', made to use where there is a length limit on snagging rods. These are really super heavy action rods. The only time I would consider using them is when I'd need to drag a big fish out of a bunch of snags or a log jam. I would say that 100# test line would be the lightest you could use with those rods. So, as far as the 10' rod you're looking at goes, if it's one piece, you're going to have trouble transporting it; if the action is TOO heavy, you're going to be severely limited on situations where it would be an appropriate rod to use. But, if it's 2 piece, and the action suits you for general fishing, it could make you an excellent catfish rod. I've got a 12' spinning rod, and my daughter has a 10' spinning rod, both of which I personally think are a little light for snagging (but I've seen similar rods used for snagging lots of times); they are both 2 piece, and they both are very good catfish rods.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the rod iv got in mind is a two piece rod i do want it for heavy curent like at the alton lock and dam

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Still way to heavy & to stiff :tounge_out:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i would say if you think it will work for you the get it . if you dought then shop around .

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like that ansser floyd thanks:cool2:

10. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I didn't realize that some of the snagging rods were solid. Another difference I have noted when looking at these, is that the ones I was looking at had VERY few guides. These rods would be 8 to 10 feet or longer and have as few as 4 rod guides on them. An observation I have made in the past is that the better quality rods have a lot more guides on them. The material the guides are made of makes a big difference too. If you are using braided line, it will eat right through ceramic lined guides in short order.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps Dallas.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    brent that is one thing i dident notes im not sher how many guides it has im thinking more than 4 i dident realy look at the rod that good dident even give it a thout till a few days later im going back in a few weeks i will realy smoke it over thean i dont even know the brand that little hampster wheel just started turning thinking of the price lol i dont use braid any more its mono for me

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As I pointed out, while some snagging rods are way too heavy for general use, even below a dam, others are an excellent choice for that type of fishing. And while it's nice to be able to go out and buy a top-of-the-line rod, figuring that it will automatically suit you, that's not always economically possible, and that's a dangerous assumption to make. While nothing would be better than actually using the rod before buying, that's almost never possible. So, I grew up learning to judge a rod by its 'feel' in my hand, with a nod to the suggested range of casting weights. And yes, I've always been taught that more eyes on a rod mean higher quality, but that's never stopped me from buying a rod that felt great in my hand and was cheap enough for me to be willing to put new eyes on the rod if necessary. For instance, I ran across a spinning outfit: the anti:wink:-reverse was broken on the reel, and the rod didn't have as many eyes as I would have liked, but it had a really good 'feel' or 'action' in my hand, so I paid $3.00 for it. I ended up using it a little, then giving it to a youngster who had a spinning reel, but no rod for it. So, if I were you, I'd check out the action of the rod; if there's nothing on the rod saying how much weight you can cast with it, hang a sinker from the tip to see how the rod handles the weight; and then, if the price is really right, go ahead and buy the rod.

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Nice sensible post jerry, I appreciate it!

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yes i agree thanks Jerry

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    seeing as im one of thoese guys that use longpoles ill put my 2 cents in.i started using long poles back in the fifties on the gulf beach of texas.ive caught many a fish over 100 lbs.on these poles and some of them were made from calcutta canes.when i came back home to arkansas i brought 3 of theses poles with me and i used them for snagging and fishing the arkansas river.i lost 2 of these poles to a hail storm at keystone 6.i have short poles and any thing 9 foot or less is short that i use when fishing out of the boat.i had to replace my 2 poles with 1 and its a 15 foot spining rod that i have a level wind reel on.i dont like 2 piece rods and im finding it hard to find some 1 piece poles 12 to 13 foot long but when i do you can bet ill be on the river some where with them sticking up in the air.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ps im casting 1/2 lb.plus weights and 1/2 lb.plus baits so yes i like the heavy rods.

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree i do like a heavy action rod

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Calcutta cane poles.... Johnnie, you sure bring back memories. The first surf rods I ever saw, down in Florida, were made from Calcutta canes. Back about 1967 or 1968, when I was stationed at Little Rock AFB, my dad came to visit, and we took a short trip down to Panama City, Florida for some deep-sea fishing. And brought back a couple of Calcutta canes tied underneath the car. They were so long we tied them to the front and rear bumpers of my dad's Ford Ltd, which was a loong car. And they stuck out both ends. I used them doodlesocking for bass on Lake Conway, where the AFB had a recreation area.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I bought one of those darn cheep enough to not pass up ozark snaggers at that bass place and now i dont know what to do with it. i originally thought of hanging it out the back of the boat with the biggest piece of bait i could get away with on the mo. gas prices kept me away from that idea and im still thinking its too stiff. BUT looking around the garage i got to thinking the tip on the ozark is the same size as the bottom piece of my king kat rod:eek:oooh: soooo if i took the tip eye off the snagger the top of the king kat should slip right over the top of the snagger making a 11-12ft rod is this a good idea or bad. i dont want to break either rod but if it work:cool2: my main consern is that one is solid and the other is hollow i assume.

20. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dallas,
    I didn't read all the answers to your post. Last spring I started using 2 of my catfish rods for snagging. 7 foot 10 inch SURGE RODS all of my SNAGGING rods are for sale . I get alot more fun out of reeling in a big Spoon bill now . I have a spinning rod and a casting rod made by Surge . They work great for snagging.