Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago the grandkids bought me a fishing rod stand for Christmas. It is one of those round ones that the but of the rod sits in and then has rubber type clips to hold the rod in place. As you might have guessed the rubber clips aren't holding to well and would like to find something that would hold the rods in place. Would like to keep it since it was a gift from the grand kids. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,301 Posts
On mine I put several screws in top. If you want to keep good looks put screws in to bottom. Do not put screws all the way into head, leave sticking up. Then get some of those thin bungy straps. One end on a screw, pull bungy around a rod or two or three, then hook onto another screw.

Those little bungies are maybe 6 inches, stretch to maybe 12 inches. Can get them at walmart or an entire jar of them in bargan shelves.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
One tack a piece of Velcro loop on one side of the clip cut another piece of the hook side long enough to bridge the clip then tack the end of it on the other side. Two, stretch a rubber band across the clips with one side anchored the other hooked on a pan head screw. Three, buy replacement clips, they make a metal one for holding arrows but don't know if they would be big enough for a rod. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
A couple of good solutions there. The 20 pack of clips looks like a good fix at a decent price.

Then there is the Velcro. Also a decent price. Two thoughts. It appears that the present holders could be screwed onto wood it is on. If so, you can get double sided Velcro at Lowe’s with hook on one side and loop on the other. By removing the current press clip, putting a length of Velcro under it and reattaching it, the Velcro could be cut to fit. You could also try the Velcro hook with the sticky backing cut to fit the sides of the current holder. Then have a second short length to go across the front.

good luck
your grandkids would be happy with you.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Most of my rods have 2 and 3 sections. At an auction a pack of 50 Velcro straps sold for $4, had to buy 3 packs to get over the $10 table limit. I gave my sons a pack and kept 1.
Here's what I bought.

I added 3 of the 40 packs of clips to my cart.
My next visit to the wood worker's shop I'll look for good looking wood. Wall mount units, a rail for the butts and a rail for the clips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts