Fishing Rod Reel Seat? Which Style Do You Prefer? Vote Now!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Nov 25, 2008.

Which one do you like?

1. Spinning/ no trigger

2. Casting/ Trigger

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    What do you preferr?:cool2:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use both bait casting and spinning. None of my rods have a trigger.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a few trigger type,But I use spinning rods with baitcasters on them as well. I like the smooth handles ,no trigger better.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've always preferred triggers, to non trigger rods. I seem to have better control with the trigger type rods.
    Bill in SC

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    casting no trigger. you gonna make up one of your new blanks for your new 6600?

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I like Fuji reel seats, trigger casting rods.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Casting with trigger. More control.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kenny,
    I prefer non trigger handles...W

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    OOPS,,, Casting/Spinning , I know a spinning rod doesn't have trigger.:roll_eyes:

I should have ask , trigger or not?.

Since I'm building conventional/casting rods.I have only used ( NON Trigger )Alps reel seats,High grade machined marine Alum,with lobed nut design for grip,Hard anodized finish,with automatic self aligning hoods/slide band keyed to body to keep reel in place.#1 seat IMHO.best non trigger seat you can find.:wink:

Been hearing about trigger seats, but I really haven't seen any until here lately on Cat rods since I been fishing.One handed casting rods Sure , But In my whole life I have never used a 2 handed casting rod that had a trigger seat.

Thats why I'm asking the ? Bros ..:big_smile: I might just have to start looking for the high end trigger seat.. Keep the votes coming Bros:wink:

Kenny

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Kenny,
    I really like the trigger, reel seats, however with that being said, I havent been able to find a hi quality trigger reel seat that I like for the bigger rods .816 and up, when you get to this size the graphite fugi's just dont hold the reel as well " tend to loosen up for me" so im with you on the better made aluminum "Alps type" for the larger rods, Lakeland makes this one and its the largest I can find but im not real impressed with the desighn,, 3160 Finger Grip Reel Seat,,,Ferrule I.D. - .813" Seat O.D. - 1.875" Length - 6.125"
    My.02
    Puddle...:wink:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree John 100%. All the Fuji reel seats I have used or checked out do allow the reel to move side to side.Also loosen as you stated after a while ,having to be tightened up frequently..

The alps seats are designed to hold the reel foot, not only to center but to lock it in place once its set, with a set of 2-lobed nuts with a silicone washer in-between the 2. once the first is locked down,lock the second down over to the washer to hold it in place..They are Nice..

They have a new one now that has a finger grip type of pattern in the under-side of the seat, which would IMO do the job of the trigger.But they Cost a small fortune :smile2::eek:oooh::smile2:

Check these out and tell me what you guys think..I'm going to order one of each of the CA-TRI-AH20M-S / AH20M-B and see what kinda grip they have .

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212&Itemid=275

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey you always have to throw these tough tech questions out dont ya(LOL)?
    Cat rods no trigger baitcast reels (penn & coupla abu's)might have to put thy ole death grip on it & hang on(LOL)...but if I am gillin fer bait or other fishin ...light pond.....stuff ??? that trigg can be a nice asset...not a must by any means though I only have a couple them and there light duty........:roll_eyes:

13. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Triggers for more control in casting is a big plus to me. Also makes it easier to hang on to when needed. Just what I like to use when am fishing.

14. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    I prefer casting no trigger

15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Kenny
    Have you had any luck finding a good real seat with a trigger other than the alps with the grooves??
    I havent had any luck,,
    Thanks
    Puddle

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I didn't vote, but I have both trigger and non-trigger. My longer heavy weight rods do not have a trigger, I use 2 hands to cast. My old light weight casting rod has a trigger and for that one hand caster I like the trigger for control and not losing the rod on a cast.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Looking for one right now..I'll let you know the best trigger seat recommened by some of the best rod builders around,asap ..Kenny..give me a day or two:cool2:

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is from the Top,,#1 choice Fuji PSS, #2 Fuji TCS This one might be a little small, So make sure you MIC the blanks where the seat is going to be sure.Hopes this helps you like it did myself,because I really needed the same info. Kenny:cool2:

20. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks a lot Kenny,,
    Man I was hopeing to get away from the graphite style but I think they are the only choice right now...
    Puddle...:wink: