Fishing rod limit in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Dmitri, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hate only being able to use two rods at a time. When I talk to some other buddies who fish in other states they mention having 4-6 rods set up with holders and whatnot. Why is it that in Illinois we can only use two?

2. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    It just aint fair. I aint got a chances at catching a biggun when I can only use 2 poles at a time.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    can only use 2 in pennsylvania i hate it

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    We are only alowed 1 pole unless you buy a two rod stamp and then its only valid in some waters. Me it dont bother me any.

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I believe the law you are referring to is a site specific law and according to the rules as I read them, you can have up to 50 hooks out with a pole, (such as a bank pole), on each one of them.Certain sites only allow a 2 pole limit, at those sites, you can only have 2 poles out.
    Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.
    I might add, you can only have 3 poles out if you are trolling unless you are on a 2 pole site.
    I am looking at my 2006 Illinois Fishing Information pamplet.

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know. I was at a lake and the game warden informed me that only 2 could be used, I don't know if he meant only at that site or state-wide.

7. z1xx

z1xx New Member

State:
    Alton, Illinois
    I was told by the owner of a bait shop that you can have up to 50 hooks. You can also have as many poles as you want as long as they have less then 50 hooks. If you have more then 2 poles you must have your name on the pole's to show they are yours.

This information might not be 100% true, but this is what I was told by someone whose been fishing most of his life.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

In SC when fishing from the bank its two poles but if you in a boat the is no limit and if your fishing from the bank and your boat is within 150 feet you can fish with as many as you want also. this is according to two different game wardens.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    no limit in ky either land or water i only fish with 5 r&r but thats all igot right now

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Limit in Oklahoma is 7 poles with two hooks per pole. That is too many, but when fishing is slow, 7 poles at least give you something to do. The reason other states limit the fishermen to less poles is that according to their best calculations, that is the number of poles per license their fisheries can support. It is not that they want to snub you - but that they do not believe the fish could survive if more poles were allowed. Why not visit with your legislature and see if you can generate his support to raise the number of poles? ALL legislatures will listen to a constituent, just may not do anything after they listen. LOL

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    IL is 2 rod/reels with up to 2 hooks each. Trot lines are up to 50 hooks

12. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think there is an exempt for the Fox River...I was arguing with some guys in a local forum about that.They wade the river and they said its a nuisance since they cant go in the river without crossing someones line.They are trying to pass a petition to limit each person to 1 pole.Its me against the waders!!!

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Texas has no restrictions on the number of poles, just total number of hooks in te water, 100. There are restrictions on the number of hooks for trot, jug, and throw (limb) lines, but since I don't fish those methods, haven't looked at them much. I fish from my kayak with 3 or 4 lines.

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I got to ask how do you handle so many poles when the fish are biting??? I've been fishing for near on to 50 years and I have yet to work out a way to reel in 2 fish much less 5 on the same number of poles at the same.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Its Site Specific in IL:
    A 2 POLE AND LINE FISHING ONLY regulation permits the angler to
    take fish with no more than 2 poles with no more than 2 hooks or
    lures per line. Also permitted (unless otherwise noted) are legal-sized
    cast nets, shad scoops and minnow seines for bait fishing. Bullfrogs
    may be taken by hand, gig, pitchfork, spear, landing net, and hook
    and line during bullfrog season.
    ON WATERS WITHOUT THE 2 POLES AND LINES FISHING ONLY
    restriction, up to 50 hooks in total may be used legally on devices permitted
    under a sport fishing license. Legal devices include: bank
    poles and lines, dip nets, throw lines, trot lines, buoyed devices (jug
    fishing), gigs, spears, bow and arrow, and bow and arrow devices.
    No more than two untagged sport fishing devices (no more than 50
    hooks total) under the angler’s immediate control are allowed. Each
    legal device more than two, up to 50 hooks total, must be tagged with
    the angler’s name and address. If attached to a tree, the device must
    be attached to the main trunk below the water line.

Most Rivers do NOT have the 2 pole limit, while most IL Lake DO have the 2 pole limit...

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/digest.pdf

Around page 7 is where it starts talking about the limits...

16. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I here ya. I guess it's that more seems to be better. When I'm catching, 2 pole is enough and when I'm not they're 2 many. Before they changed the laws in IL I had a friend who used to put out around a dozen rods and it sure was funny. Gave us plenty of laughs and some memories.

17. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    The fifty hook ordeal and your name on it is usually used for night lines. Not for when you are bank fishing. And the two pole rule is statewide. If you jug fish or any other lines ran from the shore left unattended have to have your info on them also. I would like to use more than two poles some times, but you play by the game and that is all you can do. You can catch a fish with one pole or forty. You might not catcha fish with forty so look at it this way you got two arms and two poles if the third one hit what would ya real it in wit.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I got two feet also. Got used to having to step on a pole when I was flounder fishing in the Chesapeake. Nothing to it... you deal them as they come. I agree the 7 pole limit in OK seems to be a little too much, but that is what the law says. I truthfully cannot remember when I used more than 3 poles - but the law says "not more than", so it is legal to fish with less than 7.
    It wouldn't break my heart if the law was modified in that respect, but there are other Okies that would totally rebell and dump the tea in the river if the state changed that law. LOL

19. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    that stinks i like useing morer poles

20. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So I can use more than 2 if I go down to the creek or the Ohio?