fishing rod length

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jan 12, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello all i was wondering why some of you with the exception of bank fisherman choose to use longer rods , especially when on a boat . Now to the best of my knowledge and as far as i know the following tends to be true shorter rods puts more leverage on the fish . ie when fishing bottom fish in salt water . Also know from fishing here on the great lakes that long rods are used with lighter lines to protect the line from hard running fish like the salmonoid species , but that again is the extreme end of the spectrum , example i often use a 13 ft. ultra light rod with 4-6# test line to subdue fish in the 15+ LB. range again salmon , carp and so on and can do it most times quite quickly in current which is usually the case with salmon . Is there an advantage to using a rod in the eight foot range or a particlar application to which the extra length is a plus in a boat .

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I like a 7' rod, for easy casting, but I can cast a 5' rod pretty good too. I like the 7' rods for the back bone, it seems there is a lot of rod for the fish to bend and it tires em out. A 7' rod might be a hindrance landing a fish in a boat, but I don't boat fish.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep cats get big and most of the time that means a heavy action rod. you get a heavy action 6' rod it aint gonna bend mutch you get a 8' heavy action and its gonna bend more, better for casting for tireing out the fish and like you said having some give to keep from breaking your line.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I fish from the bank & Boat as well, I prefer the 7' rods for all around use. Ugly sticks with a med. to light heavy action are my weapon of choice.

Good luck, HTH...Elliot

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use 7' rods :wink: they work

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    When you think about it, we ask our rods to do many things...cast a wide variety of weights and distances, keep the line off of water/out of snags, detect subtle bites, subdue monsters, pick up heavy weights over high banks, reach around canoes and yaks, and on and on. The list is nearly endless.

The solutions to all of these "problems" are frequently in conflict, making the final choice(s) studies in compromise.

Every situation is different, and calls for a different solution.

This is why I have rods leaning up all over my barn. Any fisherman that doesn't have a pile of rods simply isn't trying.:smile2:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I like 7' rods, have a bunch, but , have some longer out to 11', and just picked up a fairly nice one that's 6'4", rated for up to40# line,
    I'm looking forward to using that one in a boat,, but, will try it wherever I am!!! I have a 7000 Abu spooled with 50# mono on it, and think it'll be fine, but, will see.
    Main reason I use the 7's so much, is that they fit in my pickup, campershell pretty good!!!???:wink:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have most always fished with 6'6" rods. I hope the 7'6" American Spirits I ordered won't be too much of a difference. I'm apprehensive, anxious and excited to see how they work out.

Bill in SC

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I personaly use 8'-8'6" Hvy-MegaHvy Powered rods with Fast Action Tips. That can dead lift up 20+lbs of weight right off the floor or out of the water:wink:

Not because I use them but from what I have gathered over the past 3yrs they are preferred by many as the best all around blank. For boat and bank?
    I do have a 7' fenwick offshore seahawk that I do not use now.Love the thing It will pull in 40s like minnows,,no joke.and building a couple of 7'10" and 7' rods now that will be nice also.

10. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Anybody care to venture why they come up with odd lenght rods? Ugly Stx Tiger Light comes in 6ft 9". What diff does 3" from the top or 3" from bottom matter.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

When you cut from the top you make the blank go a little faster in action,giving it less flex at the tip section, and a little higher in power,stiffening up the blank,according to each and every time you cut the tip.

Now when cutting from the butt, you are making the blank slower in action,causeing it to flex quicker, and lowering the lifting power of the blank..Hope this helps:cool2:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT reply! Outa reps to ya for now, but I'll getcha.

BB in SC

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good answer, Helpful...:wink:

14. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    when fishing for catfish you want to use anything in the 8 8 1/2 9' mh lengths because of the weight you are gonna use also a longer rod will take off shock from the line.. the you have a 5ft 7ft rod there is not much room for rod bend so this puts more pressure on the line and the fish wich in the end you will lose more fish...

in erie for steelhead we use 10' noodle rods with 4-6lb floro you dont have to use that long of a rod but it deff helps when using 4-6lb line when catching 8-13lb fish in a small creek...hope this helps

oh and a long rod will give you more distance on your cast which also is a big help soemtimes..

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I repped him a true genius!!

16. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    So another usefull thought. Greg likes those cause they fit in his pickup camper. I like longer rods because I fish from the bank often and it helps me keep the fish out of the rip rap.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish from the bbank a lot and like 10-11" rods. Extre leverage to get the fish away from snags and structure. I'm thinking of giving an 8"er a try with braided line and circle hooks.

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Make sure it's not too stiff. If you put that braid with no give on a stiff rod you have to be more gentle because you can easily rip the hook out of there jaw. This can be avoided by using mono leaders though. I have personally experienced this. When I started using braid I actually realed in a peice of the flatheads lip. It wasn't a very powerfull hookset but that braid puts it to them. I have braid on my long flexible pole and mono on my short stiff one.

19. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Thanks Flamekeeper, your hired!